five

✧ ˚  ·    .
Chapter five

— I TOOK A DEEP BREATH as i stepped through the front door of my house, the familiar scent of home wrapping around me. I hesitated for a moment, my heart racing at the thought of what i was about to do.

They were all in the living room, i forced a smile, trying to shake off the nerves that twisted in my stomach.

"Hey." I dropped my keys on the coffee table and sat on the couch, next to my twin brother.

"What's up." My brother Micheal asked, busy with his phone. My mom was in the kitchen, while my dad was sitting in his chair, thankfully without a glass in his hands.

The conversation went just regular.

"So," i began, my voice was beneath a whisper,

"I didn't tell you, but I met someone."

My mom heard me from the kitchen, my parents turned to me, curiosity lighting up their faces.

"Who is he?" My dad asked, leaning forward in his chair. I felt a flicker of warmth at their interest as i continued. "His name is Tristan. We met a little over a month ago at the bar.  He's really sweet." I could see the happiness in their eyes, the relief that i was finally connecting with someone after everything i had been through.

"How long have you known each other?" My mom asked, not even noticing i already said that.
I answered, detailing our first meeting, and how we had spent countless hours getting to know each other.

"I really like him," i added, my heart swelling with excitement. For a moment, the room buzzed with positive energy, my family actually happy for me, proud that i was finding joy again.

But as i took a deep breath, the weight of what i had to say next settled heavily on my chest. "And," i stammered, "i might move out."

The room fell silent, the cheerful atmosphere instantly deflating. Their expressions shifted from joy to confusion, and then to concern. "What do you mean, move out?" My dad's tone was sharp, his brow furrowing in disbelief.

"I mean, I want to live with Tristan," i said, my voice shaking as i struggled to find the right words.

The reality of my decision hit me hard, and i could feel the tension rising in the room. "You can't be serious," my dad exploded, anger flashing in his eyes. "You barely know this guy! You're a child!"

I felt her own anger boiling beneath the surface. "I'm nineteen, I can make my own decisions!" I shot back for the first time against my dad.

The room erupted into chaos, my little sister and older brother exchanging worried glances, while my mom looked on with a mix of concern and disappointment.

"What do you know about him? You met his family? Don't act stupid because you're not!" He screamed.

I was feeling the tears prick in my eyes already.

"Grace, please, think this through," my mom pleaded, her voice softening as she stepped closer. "What do you really know about him?" The concern in my mom's voice only made me feel more misunderstood.

I wanted to scream, to tell them that i was capable of making my own choices, that i was ready for this.

After a heated exchange, i just stormed out of the living room, my heart pounding in my chest.

I fled to the kitchen, trying to catch my breath, but the tears spilled over. I heard my mom's footsteps behind me, but i couldn't face her right now.

"Grace, please," my mom said gently, trying to reach me. "I just want you to be safe. I worry about you." I turned away, not wanting to hear it.