Bonus Chapter 2

The sound of laughter fills the air as I step into the house

The sound of laughter fills the air as I step into the house. It’s a welcome sound, one that makes me pause just inside the front door to appreciate it. There’s something about coming home after a long day and being greeted by that laughter—it feels like every bit of the stress and tension from work melts away. I drop my keys on the table, loosen my tie, and make my way further inside, eager to join Addy and Theo.

But just as I’m about to call out for them, a sharp, high-pitched scream pierces the air, coming from the direction of the bedroom. My heart leaps into my throat, and I immediately take off in that direction, all thoughts of relaxation forgotten. The scream was from Addy—I know her voice anywhere—and fear grips me as I imagine the worst.

As I round the corner and burst into the bedroom, I hear a soft whimpering. Theo. My little boy is crying, clearly frightened by whatever just happened. I rush past the bed and see the bathroom door slightly ajar. I push it open, my pulse racing, and find Addy standing there, her back to me, something clutched in her hand.

“Addy!” I call out, my voice rough with panic as I approach her. “Are you okay? What happened?”

She turns slowly, and that’s when I see her face. Her eyes are wide, but not with fear—there’s something else there, something I can’t quite place yet. Her lips are trembling, and I can tell she’s holding back tears, but there’s a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. It’s confusing, to say the least.

“Look,” she whispers, holding out her hand.

My gaze drops to the small object she’s holding, and it takes me a second to register what it is. A pregnancy test. A positive pregnancy test.

It hits me all at once, like a wave crashing over me. Addy. Pregnant. Again.

“We’re… we’re having another baby?” My voice comes out in a shaky breath, and I feel my chest tighten with emotion. I look up at her, my mind racing, trying to process it all.

Addy nods, tears spilling over now, but her smile is unmistakable. “Yes, Asher. We’re having another baby.”

I’m frozen for a second, just staring at her, feeling my heart swell with so much love and happiness that I think I might burst. Then, without thinking, I pull her into my arms, holding her tight, feeling the warmth of her body against mine. “I can’t believe it,” I whisper into her hair. “I’m so happy, Addy. So, so happy.”

She pulls back slightly to look at me, her eyes shining. “I was scared for a second, I think that’s why I screamed. I didn’t expect it to happen so soon.”

I laugh, the sound bubbling up from my chest. “You scared me half to death with that scream. I thought something terrible had happened.”

Addy wipes a tear from her cheek, still smiling. “Well, something big has happened.”

Just then, we both hear Theo’s soft cries coming from the bedroom. The poor kid must’ve been terrified by his mom’s scream. Addy and I exchange a glance, and I lean down to kiss her forehead before moving toward the door.