Chapter 1

'You have a new notification.' A notification pop up in my laptop as I browse our agency's website. I'm in my room, laying in bed while a reading glasses covers my eyes. My eyes hurts really due to the intensive screen light I acquired almost everyday.

Stepping in the media world requires a lot of sacrifices, tulad na lang ng pag-alis ko sa sariling comfort zone. I'm a journalist. I talk to people, I write topics about them, and then the agency will publish it under my name.

I go to my Gmail and clicked the fresh mail. It's from them... MOONFINITY Company, a private investment company where I requested to interview for a couple of months now and they always decline. If I successfully have an interview to their CEO, it will be surely be a big shot in the industry since they have no actual media appearance. Is it another letter of rejection?

MOONFINITY   |   Oct. 12, 2024
To: Miss Stephanie Torres
From: MOONFINITY
Date: October 12, 2024

The company is writing to express the acceptance for the opportunity to interview the CEO, Mr. Devonshin Fortalejo of MOONFINITY EMPIRE. To confirm the acceptance of the interview invitation, we will scheduled our meeting at Oct. 14, 2024 at 03:00 pm.

And details goes on...

“Sh!t,” I silently mumbled. Is this for real? Pumapayag na ba talaga sila for this, a one on one interview with Mr. Fortalejo?? And this was so soon.

The adrenaline rush comes through my system and a big wide smile plastered in my face looking like I've just won a lottery ticket. I've just caught a big fish that haven't been caught in a vast pond.

I encircled the date in my mini calendar pati na rin sa planner ko, and of course to my phone. This weekend of mine sure be a busy one.

Napalingon ako nang may kumatok sa labas ng kwarto ko at iniluwa nito ang nakasilip na ulo ni Kath. “Steph, I brought food. Kain tayo,” yaya nito.

“Coming! I also have a good news.” Inayos ko na ang mga gamit na nakakalat sa kama bago lumabas.

—————————

Oct. 14, 2024 (Monday)

Nakatayo ako ngayon dito sa harap ng napakalaking building. It consists of 35 floors, almost the walls are made of high class glass. I saw the top most that sunlight was reflecting on its mirrors. Nakakamangha kung paano na ang salamin nito ay kinukuha ang enerhiya mula sa araw at nag-iiwan na lang sa repleksyon nito ng tanging liwanag na hindi na nakakasakit sa mata. I read that article about how this building was made.

I walked in and was greeted by the guard. Dumiretso ako sa front desk to notify my concern. It's already 2:33 in the afternoon and i don't want to be late in this important meeting.

“Good afternoon ma'am! How may I help you?”

“Good afternoon! I am from The Horizon Daily and I'm expected to have an interview with the CEO at 3 pm.” I said and she browsed the screen in front of her. Ilang minuto lang ay kumunot na ang noo nito.

“I'm sorry ma'am but you have no scheduled appointment today. May I see the confirmation?”

Hinanap ko ang natanggap na mail at ipinakita sa kanya. The heck, na-prank ba ako or is there someone sabotaging me? Then sino?

She just checked the mail and told me to wait for a while as she called someone. A little later, she told me to wait in the lobby. Someone's gonna escort me, she said. I felt relieved nang dumating ito. I really thought of a worse scenario where I will be dragged out.

Nagpakilala ito na sekretarya ng CEO at inanyayahan na ako to the meeting place. We're almost in the top floor when we headed in a small balcony sized like a room. I was quite amaze by the place because this is not usual to me sa ibang napuntahan ko ng mga building.

“Mr. Fortalejo is currently in a meeting so I'm afraid that he won't be in time. Is that okay miss...?” he asked.

“It's Stephanie Torres and that would be fine,” I smiled to him. I have no choice but to wait, I can't let the opportunity to slide out of my hand. Besides this is my last work today at pinilit na ako ng chief manager to spare working overtime today as she heard the good news.

Iniwan na ako nito kaya naman inihanda ko na lang ang mga gamit ko. The place is cool. May isang two seater sofa at isang solo sofa dito at kaharap non ang hindi kataasang glass table. May mga halaman din na nagko-complement sa lugar.

I placed my stuffs in the table, that includes my notepad and recorder. Humarap na muna ako sa view ng balcony to breath some air.

I checked my watch, it's already 2:59.

Someone suddenly spoked my name behind my back kaya naman napalapit ako sa railings sa gulat. I turn around para alamin kung sino ito. Parang bumagal ang takbo ng oras nang bigla ako nito itulak.

The last thing I know is I'm slowly falling. Too shocked to have a reaction. Is this the end of me?

But I saw her, I saw my culprit with a wide smile on its face. Even the distance between us, I clearly hear the word she says. Sleep.

3:00 pm.