Chapter Six

"So you guys are together again?" Andrew asked, leaning against his chair in Jamba Juice.

I nodded, sipping my mango smoothie thoughtfully. "Yeah. After all these years, I thought I would never see her again. Fifteen years. Damn." I shook my head, still not believing what had happened over the past few days.

Andrew let out a low whistle, gulping at his honeydew freezie. "That's a long time. You said she has your virginity, right?"

"Right. I have hers too. We were living together for about a year, until I came to New Jersey to start the Format. We had some of the best nights..." My mind started wandering far too deep into those memories. The nights I'd fall asleep with Ivy in my arms. The nights where she'd kiss me the old-fashioned lips-closed way and say, "I love you, Nate." The nights where I'd kiss her neck and remind her that she isn't all alone.

Some nights I'd just sit and dread the day someone came to save us from this helpless love.

It felt like a dream until I left her.

That's when I started slitting up my arms and standing over my balcony, hoping someone would just come along and push me into the Atlantic.

Or just helplessly hoping that Ivy would come up behind me and say, "Nate, don't jump...It's all alright. It gets better."

Some nights I'd cry myself to sleep.

Some nights I'd sleep with another woman, trying to pretend her name was Ivy Callez.

Coming back to reality, I abruptly stood up, scaring the shit out of Andrew, and threw out the rest of my smoothie.

"GottagoHammerhandsbye!" I said, speeding out of the Jamba Juice.