Chapter 2: Shared Past Memories

Law sat in the doctor’s lounge, the dim lighting reflecting his heavy thoughts. His hands were clasped tightly as he leaned forward, staring blankly at the floor. The successful surgery should have brought him relief, but his mind was far from at ease. The sight of Luffy holding Ace’s hand, her tear-filled eyes, played over and over in his head. She was here, alive and real, but she had no idea who he was. That thought gnawed at him.

Just as his thoughts threatened to spiral deeper, the door swung open with a burst of energy.

“There he is! The Surgeon of Death, pulling off another miracle!” Shachi’s voice cut through the silence, pulling Law from his brooding. Shachi, Penguin, and Bepo entered the lounge, wide grins on their faces.

“Another miracle, man. You saved that guy’s life!” Penguin chimed in, leaning against the wall with a proud smile.

Bepo, the ever-kindhearted one, clapped Law lightly on the back, grinning from ear to ear. “You’re amazing, Law! Another life saved. We knew you’d succeed.”

Law straightened up, pulling himself from his thoughts, and forced a small smile. “Just doing my job,” he muttered, his tone much more subdued than usual.

Shachi raised an eyebrow, noticing Law’s distant expression. “Come on, you just saved someone from the brink of death, and you’re sitting here like you lost a bet.”

Penguin shot Shachi a quick glance, then looked back at Law. “Everything okay, man? You’re usually less... gloomy after a successful surgery.”

Law rubbed his face, trying to shake off the weight pressing down on him. He appreciated their concern, but there was so much they didn’t know. So much he couldn’t explain. The memories of another life, their true connections, it was all locked in his mind, and they were unaware.

Bepo, ever observant, looked at Law with a softer expression. “If something’s bothering you, we can talk. We’re here for you, you know that.”

Law’s chest tightened at the genuine concern from his friends, but he couldn’t bring himself to burden them with the truth. “I’m fine,” he said, his voice a little firmer this time. “Just tired.”

Shachi, ever the optimist, shrugged. “Well, if you say so. But seriously, we need to celebrate after a save like that. You’re a damn legend around here.”

Penguin nodded in agreement, trying to lighten the mood. “Yeah, you can’t just be the Surgeon of Death all the time. Take a break, we’ll grab some food or something.”

Law gave them a small nod, but his mind was still elsewhere. As much as he tried to focus on their words, all he could think about was Luffy and the impossible gap that still lay between them.

Law leaned back in his chair, trying to shake off the lingering thoughts of Luffy and Ace. His friends continued to chatter animatedly around him, discussing dinner plans and teasing each other. Just as he began to feel somewhat grounded in their camaraderie, the door swung open again, and Marco walked in

Marco, known for his impressive reputation in the medical field, strode into the lounge with an air of confidence. His striking blond hair framed his face, and his blue jacket was slightly rumpled, giving him a casual yet distinguished look. The moment he entered, the atmosphere shifted. Shachi, Penguin, and Bepo fell silent, their eyes widening in recognition.

“Dr. Marco! It’s great to see you!” Bepo exclaimed, moving closer with a respectful nod.

“Hey, Marco!” Shachi added, breaking into a grin. “What brings you here?”

Marco smiled, the warmth of his presence immediately uplifting the room. “Just checking in on a few patients, and I heard about the surgery you performed today, Law. Impressive work.”