Chapter 4: Sharing the Past

The morning sun filtered through the blinds of Law's office, casting striped shadows across the cluttered desk. Law sat hunched over a stack of medical charts, his brow furrowed in concentration as he reviewed the latest patient updates. The quiet hum of the hospital provided a familiar backdrop as he diligently worked through his responsibilities, checking on patients and ensuring that everything was in order.

However, beneath the surface of his professional demeanor lay a sense of exhaustion. Dark circles framed his golden eyes, and his normally crisp white coat looked slightly rumpled. He rubbed a hand over his face, stifling a yawn as he tried to push through the fatigue.

Just as he was about to pour himself another cup of coffee, the door swung open, and in walked his friends Penguin, Shachi, and Bepo.

“Hey, Doctor!” Penguin greeted, his voice cheerful as he stepped into the office. “We thought we’d come see how you’re doing!”

“Yeah! You look like you’ve been hit by a truck!” Shachi added, a teasing grin on his face. “How many all-nighters have you pulled this week?”

Law looked up, managing a faint smile despite the fatigue weighing him down. “Just the usual,” he replied, his tone flat. “Patients don’t take care of themselves, you know.”

Bepo, always the gentle soul, stepped closer, concern etched on his face. “You really should take a break, Law. You look exhausted.”

“I’m fine,” Law insisted, though the weariness in his voice betrayed him. He leaned back in his chair, trying to appear nonchalant. “Just a lot on my plate right now.”

Penguin and Shachi exchanged worried glances. “Seriously, man,” Shachi said, leaning against the wall. “You can’t keep this up. You need to rest. What’s the point of saving lives if you’re too tired to enjoy it?”

Law sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. “I know, but I can’t afford to slack off, especially with Ace awake. There’s too much to do.”

Penguin said, crossing his arms. “You can’t help him if you’re running on empty.”

Law’s expression softened slightly at the mention of Penguin worriedness, but he shook his head. “I can manage. I just need to finish these charts.”

“Come on, Law,” Bepo encouraged softly. “Let us help. You’ve been there for everyone else, it’s time to let us take care of you.”

Shachi stepped forward, a smirk returning to his face. “Yeah! We can handle the charts for a bit. You can take a nap in your office, and we’ll cover for you. You’re going to break down if you keep this up!”

Law hesitated, glancing at the mountain of paperwork in front of him. The thought of resting was tempting, but he fought against it, determined to push through. Yet, as he looked at the concerned faces of his friends, he realized that they wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“Fine,” Law relented, rubbing his temples. “I’ll take a quick break. But just a quick one.”

“Great! We’ve got this!” Penguin said, clapping Law on the shoulder. “You just relax. We’ll keep everything running smoothly.”

As Law leaned back in his chair, allowing himself to close his eyes for a moment, he felt a wave of gratitude wash over him. Surrounded by friends who genuinely cared, he realized that maybe it was okay to lean on others once in a while.

“Thanks, guys,” he murmured, feeling the tension in his shoulders start to ease. “I appreciate it.”

“Anytime, Law!” Shachi replied, grinning as he and Penguin exchanged glances, ready to tackle the mountain of work ahead of them.