Chapter 5: Mission Kornfession

As the boat gently bumped against the shore, Lingling looked down at Orm, who was still resting on her shoulder, fast asleep—or so she thought. Lingling lifted her gaze toward Faye, silently asking what she should do next. Faye caught the look in Lingling's eyes and gave her a reassuring nod.

"It's okay, Ling. Her family isn't here yet. You stay with her for a little while," Faye said softly. Then she turned to the rest of the team, motioning for them to disembark. "Give them some space, everyone."

The team quietly gathered their gear and began to step off the boat, leaving Lingling and Orm alone on deck. As the last of them disappeared into the distance, Lingling carefully shifted her position, trying not to disturb Orm too much. But the time had come, and Lingling gently shook her shoulder.

"Orm... we're here," Lingling whispered.

A soft, sleepy voice mumbled from Orm, "No, I don't want to wake up."

Lingling couldn't help but laugh at the response, the sound light and full of affection. She looked down at Orm, raising an eyebrow. "How long have you been awake, hmm?"

Orm's eyes blinked open slowly, and a mischievous smile played at her lips. "Long enough to know I don't want to leave your shoulder," she admitted, her voice still drowsy but sincere. She snuggled closer, as if trying to prolong the moment.

Lingling smiled, though there was a pang in her chest. She knew Orm was reluctant to face what came next. "You're making this hard for me, you know," Lingling said, her tone gentle but teasing. "I don't want to let you go either, but we both know you need to see your family."

Orm pouted slightly, still clutching onto Lingling's arm. "I just... I'm not ready yet. Can't we stay like this a little longer?"

Lingling's heart softened at Orm's words, and for a moment, she hesitated. She could feel the weight of the emotions hanging between them, but she didn't want to force Orm into confronting anything before she was ready. So instead, she leaned back slightly, allowing Orm to rest her head on her shoulder once more, cherishing the closeness of the moment for as long as it lasted.

"Okay, just a little longer," Lingling whispered, her voice gentle, filled with a quiet understanding.

Orm shifted slightly, tilting her head up to meet Lingling's gaze. The soft vulnerability in her eyes was impossible to miss, and Lingling's breath caught in her throat. They were so close, the world fading around them, leaving just the two of them in this fragile moment.

"Lingling..." Orm's voice was soft, tentative.

"Hmm?" Lingling hummed, her attention fully on Orm.

"I think I like you." Orm's words were sudden, out of the blue, but they hung in the air with a truth that couldn't be ignored.

Lingling blinked, caught off guard but not entirely surprised. She felt her heart skip a beat, but she quickly masked it with a smile. "I like you too..."

Orm's eyes lit up, a glimmer of hope sparking within them as she sat up straight, her face bright with excitement. "Really?"

Lingling hesitated for the briefest second, feeling the weight of the moment and the expectation in Orm's eyes. She smiled softly, but the next words that came out were a careful attempt to protect both of them.

"Yes... as a friend," she said gently, the words landing heavily between them.

Orm's face fell, the excitement in her eyes dimming as the reality of Lingling's response sank in. The word "friend" carried a sting she hadn't expected, and she tried to hide her disappointment, but it was clear in the way her shoulders slumped and her smile faltered.