Chapter five

The next day, when Seonghwa woke up, he felt a warm arm draped over his waist. Startled, he quickly sat up, inadvertently waking Hongjoong. Just as Seonghwa was about to slip out of bed, Hongjoong grabbed his wrist, pulling him back toward him.

Seonghwa’s heart raced, his mind going blank with shock at Hongjoong’s sudden action.

“Ho-Hongjoong, l-let me go,” he stammered, his voice shaky.

“I don’t want to,” Hongjoong murmured, his voice low and dull.

“W-what do you mean?” Seonghwa asked, his voice filled with stunned confusion.

“I have to go to work, I’m running late,” he muttered, slipping out of Hongjoong’s grip.

“No,” Hongjoong replied firmly, tightening his hold.

“I…have…to…GO!” Seonghwa snapped, shaking off Hongjoong’s hand aggressively.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Seonghwa whispered under his breath, storming toward the bathroom.

He quickly freshened up and changed, then headed out of the room without even glancing at Hongjoong.

Skipping breakfast seemed like the best escape, but just as Seonghwa was about to leave, a sweet voice stopped him. Hongjoong’s mother stood beside her son, a gentle smile on her face.

“Beautiful, aren’t you having breakfast?” she asked.

The fragrance of the food was too tempting to resist.  Seonghwa took a seat at the dining table. Hongjoong sat beside him, but Seonghwa ignored his presence, focusing instead on the plate in front of him.

He took a bite of the pancakes, drizzled with caramel syrup, and his lips curled into a soft smile.

“Delicious,” Seonghwa murmured, genuinely impressed.

After finishing, he thanked Hongjoong’s mom and prepared to leave.

“Don’t you two go together?” she asked. “Maybe you could drop me off at my house on the way?”

Hongjoong agreed without hesitation.

As they got into the car, the silence between them was heavy. Seonghwa stared out the window, trying to avoid Hongjoong’s gaze. His mind kept replaying the moment in bed, the way Hongjoong had held him, the way his voice had sounded so different.

Hongjoong broke the silence. “Seonghwa... about this morning—"

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Seonghwa interrupted, his tone sharp, eyes still fixed on the passing streets.

“You’re upset,” Hongjoong pressed, his voice softer now, almost apologetic.

“Of course I’m upset,” Seonghwa snapped. “What were you thinking?”

Hongjoong took a deep breath, the weight of Seonghwa's words sinking in. “I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable. I just… I wanted to hold on for a little longer. I didn’t want to let go.” He glanced at Seonghwa, searching for understanding.

Seonghwa’s heart raced at the admission, but he fought to keep his expression neutral. “You can’t just pull me back like that and expect everything to be okay, Hongjoong.”

“What happened, guys? Is something wrong?” Hongjoong’s mother asked, her brows furrowed with concern.

“Nothing,” Hongjoong replied quickly, glancing at Seonghwa, who was staring out the window, lost in thought.

After they dropped Hongjoong’s mother off, the silence in the car was palpable. Seonghwa’s heart raced as he tried to process the morning's events and Hongjoong’s earlier words.