Chapter six

A couple of weeks later, Seonghwa received an unexpected message from his parents. They wanted to meet him for dinner at 6:00 PM. As he read the message, he felt a flicker of confusion—why were they asking to meet so suddenly? He hadn’t seen them in a while, but there hadn’t been any hint of a special occasion or reason.

He glanced at the clock and realized he needed to wrap up soon if he was going to make it on time. Turning to San, who was busy adjusting some equipment, Seonghwa said, “I’ll have to head out early. My parents messaged me—they want to meet for dinner.”

San looked up, a bit surprised. “Everything okay?”

“I’m not sure,” Seonghwa admitted, running a hand through his hair. "They didn’t say why, but it’s been a while since we had dinner together."

San gave a nod " let me know what happened "

Seonghwa arrived home soon after, feeling the weight of the day on his shoulders. The moment he stepped inside, the familiar warmth of the house embraced him. He sighed, heading straight to the bathroom for a long, relaxing shower. Afterward, he slipped into a cozy white, long-sleeved sweater paired with black jeans—simple but effortlessly stylish.

Dinner came soon after. He joined his parents at the table, the air unusually quiet, yet he brushed it off, focusing on the food in front of him. They engaged in light conversation while eating, but there was an underlying tension that Seonghwa couldn’t ignore.

When the plates were nearly empty, his mother cleared her throat softly, breaking the lull.

"Seonghwa... there's something we need to discuss," she began cautiously, her voice softer than usual. His father remained silent, his gaze fixed on the table.

"What is it?" Seonghwa asked, setting his utensils down, sensing something serious.

His mother hesitated for a moment before finally speaking. "We’ve arranged your marriage."

Seonghwa froze. His heart skipped a beat, and he blinked, trying to process the words.

"W-what?" His voice wavered with disbelief. "You... arranged my marriage?"

His gaze flickered between his parents, hoping for some clarification, but none came.

"Who is it with?" he demanded, frustration creeping into his tone.

His mother looked away, her eyes filled with guilt. "We can't tell you," she muttered.

Seonghwa’s anger flared. "You didn’t even ask me what I wanted, and now you can’t even tell me who I’m supposed to marry?"

He stood up abruptly, the chair scraping loudly against the floor as he pushed it back. His voice trembled with barely contained frustration. "You really made all these decisions without me?"

Without waiting for a response, Seonghwa turned on his heel and stormed out of the restaurant, leaving his parents sitting in stunned silence.

As Seonghwa stormed out of the shop, frustration boiled inside him, twisting into something deeper—something he didn’t want to face. The night air was cool against his flushed skin, but it did nothing to calm the storm within. His thoughts spiraled, each one tugging harder at his heart.

His vision blurred as tears gathered in his eyes. Why am I even crying? He wiped at his face roughly, trying to push the emotions away, but the lump in his throat only grew. I’m not going to that wedding. I don’t have to. But... what if it’s someone I don’t like? What if they expect me to just go along with it?

His steps quickened.The betrayal stung deeper than he expected. Why didn’t they ask me? The question echoed over and over. Didn’t I tell them I wanted to find someone on my own? Wasn’t that enough?