The Maze

Felix stirred awake in a bed so soft and warm, it felt like he was cocooned in clouds. The heavy covers draped over his entire body, wrapping him in comfort. His eyes fluttered open to a sight of pure opulence—a room that looked as if it belonged to royalty. High ceilings adorned with intricate molding, chandeliers glittering with the first rays of morning light, and richly textured fabrics covering every surface.

He frowned, his mind foggy. How did I get here? He remembered the drive, but everything after that was a blur. "I guess I was really tired," he mumbled groggily, his voice muffled by the plush pillows.

He inhaled deeply, filling his lungs with the soft, floral scent of lilies. His gaze followed the smell to the tall glass windows, where fresh lilies bloomed in vases. The delicate fragrance mingled with the crisp morning air, adding a layer of serenity to the already peaceful room.

Swinging his legs over the side of the bed, Felix let the cold morning air bite at his skin, the sensation making him hiss with a strange sense of delight. It had been so long since he’d felt this alive, this free. Standing up, he padded across the floor to the enormous windows, his feet sinking slightly into the thick carpet beneath him.

He tugged gently at the silver curtains, drawing them back just enough to take in the view. A vast green field stretched as far as his eyes could see, mist clinging to the grass as the early morning fog began to lift. The landscape was almost surreal, like something out of a dream.

But his eyes lingered on the metal bars covering the windows. Strange. Probably just to keep animals out, he thought, though the sight left a nagging feeling in his chest.

"Just a few more days before I go home," he muttered, reassuring himself. Wherever home was, this didn’t feel like it. Not quite.

A sudden knock on the door made him jump, shattering the quiet.

"May I come in, young master?" A soft, polite female voice called from the other side.

Young master? Felix blinked. The title felt foreign, almost laughable, for someone like him. But he shook off the thought, not wanting to leave her waiting.

"Please, come in," he said, his voice still thick with sleep.

The door creaked open, and a young woman stepped inside, her beauty as delicate as the lilies in the room. She stood near the entrance, locking the door behind her with a soft click, her eyes downcast.

"It is time for your bath... master," she said, her voice gentle yet formal.

Felix swallowed, still trying to wrap his head around everything.

After politely excusing the maiden from the room, Felix let out a long sigh of relief. Having her bathe him was simply too much. She had insisted, her tone respectful yet firm, but he had held his ground, declining as graciously as possible. Thankfully, she left without pushing further, leaving him alone in the opulent bathroom.

Felix stared at his reflection in the mirror, the steam from the bath still lingering in the air. His growing blond hair had become unruly, so he combed it back and tied it into a neat man bun. It was a simple act, but it gave him some sense of normalcy amidst all the luxury that felt entirely foreign to him. Now that the bath was over and he had dressed in a comfortable, if overly fancy, set of clothes, the feeling of boredom settled in.

What do you even do in a house like this? Felix thought as he wandered out of his room.

He walked down the hallway, descending a short flight of stairs to a wide opening that revealed an enchanting garden. His steps slowed as he took in the sight—plants and flowers of every kind stretched before him, vibrant and thriving under the soft light that filtered through the glass ceiling. He stepped out onto the balcony that overlooked the garden, feeling the cool stone beneath his feet.

Wait... Felix stopped at the edge of the balcony, peering down. Is this garden… upstairs?

He scratched his head, confused. He had thought the stairs he’d just come down would lead to the end of the building, but instead, they opened into this grand, elevated garden. Felix’s curiosity piqued. Something about this place didn’t make sense—its structure felt more like a maze than a house.

Intrigued, he continued exploring, walking the length of the balcony and turning down another hallway that led deeper into the mansion. His steps echoed in the vast, silent corridors. At the end of the hallway, he stumbled upon the kitchen, still on the same floor as his bedroom. He furrowed his brow. Why haven’t I found the lower floors yet?

Then, his eyes landed on a door tucked into the corner of the hallway. Aha… he thought. That must lead downstairs.

With a flick of his hand, Felix grabbed the knob and turned. But it didn’t budge. He frowned and tried again, twisting it with more force. Still nothing. The door was locked—from the outside.

Felix’s heartbeat quickened as a sinking feeling crept over him. He tried again, this time pulling and rattling the knob in desperation, but the door refused to open. His breaths became shallow, his mind racing with worry.
Why am I locked in?

The familiar panic clawed at him, memories of locked doors from his past flashing through his mind. Felix knew all too well that locked doors never led to anything good.