Chapter 16

I pulled into the Michigan welcome center, got out, and watched people walking in and out of the restrooms. The sun was starting to set behind the hills. I leaned against the front hood of my jeep and just tried to breathe. Why do I run from every problem I have in my life. This man just spilled his heart out and I ran. Just like I did when I went to Florida all those years ago. Yet I came home to get my life together and fuck! My thoughts trailed off as I figured the two-hour ride back to the farm would be helpful in this venture of sorting out my mind. I wasn't confused. I was pissed off at myself for giving up on him. I knew I was in the wrong for it. I knew that I should have just answered one of the goddammed letters. Not like I didn't write 1000 of them, then get pissed off and throw them away. I knew I had to go back, I had to let him know everything. I needed to be as open with him as he was with me in that moment. He was so open, I could hear his voice change. He isn't the type of man to be vulnerable with anyone. He keeps his feelings in. No matter what it is. This means something. Damn it Aimee, there you go fucking shit up again. Go home Aimee. Go home and fix this shit.

Pulling into the farm I seen the barn lights dimming. How long was I gone? I parked, walked up to the porch, turned around and staired off into the distance. I took a deep breath in and headed to Tuckers. This is either going to go really good, or really bad. Well shit. I knocked lightly thinking he may not hear me. Hoping. He answered the door with that sweet simple smile. " You get that out of your system?" Damn it. "Yes, sort of. You have a few minutes?" He opened the door and held his arm out welcoming me into his living room. He moved something off the recliner and nodded. I knew that meant to sit. He sits across from me, looking at me with a growing concern in his eyes, and his sweet smile beginning to fade away to a more somber presence.

"Tucker, I just want to start this off by saying I am sorry." I swallowed hard trying to keep my composer. "I shouldn't have run away like that earlier, I was overwhelmed by what you said to me and I was not sure how to respond to it." He straightened up like he wanted to say something to me, but restrained himself. " I want you to know that I read everything you sent me, I reread them over and over, I cried, I saved them. I knew you didn't do what they said you did. I just couldn't wait 10 years. It killed me. I also knew that had I stayed in Gunner I would have never moved on. I still didn't move on. I still love you." FUCK!! That wasn't supposed to come out!!

I sat in silence not being able to look him in the eyes. I felt the weight of the world fall away as I looked up and seen Tucker standing in front of me with his hands open in front of me. He grabbed my hands and pulled me into his chest. He wrapped his strong arms around me and held me close while I started to cry. Tucker rested his head on mine, "I love you." I sobbed harder. He held me tighter. We stayed in that moment for a while, me crying, him holding me, not letting me go. I didn't want him too. I wanted to stay in his arms forever. For the first time in 15 years I finally felt home again.