Ghosts returning

Vivian Von Knight, a name that echoes through the smoky halls of Noirville's most elite club, The Velvet Veil. By night, she dazzles the audience as a burlesque singer and dancer, her performances a blend of elegance and allure that leave the city's elite spellbound. Her voice, a sultry contralto, and her mesmerizing dance moves have made her the star attraction, drawing in crowds from all corners of the city. 

Johnny stood in the doorway, the rain forming a halo around Vivian as she stood in the dim light of the hallway. It had been so long since he last saw her, but time hadn't dulled her beauty. Her eyes, deep and enchanting, still carried that same spark he remembered.

"It's been a while." he said, his voice filled with surprise.

She offered a faint smile, though her eyes betrayed the storm of emotions within. "Hello, Johnny. Can I come in?"

Johnny stepped aside, allowing her to enter his cluttered office. He couldn't help but admire how unchanged she seemed, as if the years had left her untouched by the city's cruel hands.

As she settled into the worn leather chair opposite his desk, Johnny poured her a drink, the warm amber liquid catching the light. "So, what brings you here, Viv?" he asked, unable to hide his curiosity.

Vivian took the glass, her hands trembling slightly. She took a sip, savoring the warmth. "You could say that. But first, tell me, how's life been treating you? Still working all hours of the night, I see."

Johnny chuckled, though there was little humor in it. "Yeah, you know me. Practically live here now. It's better this way. Besides, it's not like I've got anything waiting for me at home."

Vivian's expression softened. "No one quite like you, Johnny. Always working, always running."

He shrugged, trying to deflect the compliment. "What's the real reason you're here, Viv?"

Her eyes met his, filled with a mixture of fear and something else he couldn't quite place. "I received a package, Johnny. On my doorstep."

Johnny's brow furrowed. "What was in it?"

"A letter, saying I'm next. And this." She reached into her bag and pulled out a ring, placing it on his desk.

Johnny's heart skipped a beat as he recognized the ring. Vinnie's ring.

"Who would send this to you?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

Vivian shook her head, tears glistening in her eyes. "I don't know. But I need your help, Johnny. I'm scared."

Johnny sat back, the weight of the past crashing down on him like a tidal wave. The Incident of '46, Vinnie's death, the secrets he thought he'd buried—they were all clawing their way back to the surface.

In 1946, Noirville was a city teetering on the edge of chaos. Crime was rampant, and corruption seeped into every level of the justice system. Vinnie Moretti, a notorious mobster, was at the height of his power. He controlled various criminal activities including smuggling, extortion, and illegal gambling. His influence was pervasive, and his name was feared across the city.

Johnny Lovegood and Vinnie Moretti grew up in the same rough neighborhood. They shared a bond forged through their tough upbringing, surviving the harsh realities of Noirville's streets. As they grew older, their paths diverged Vinnie chose a life of crime, while Johnny pursued law enforcement, hoping to make a difference. Despite their different paths, they maintained a complicated friendship, with Johnny often turning a blind eye to Vinnie's minor infractions out of loyalty.

The Velvet Veil caught Vinnie's eye at that time and well, so did Vivian. Their relationship quickly became intense and passionate. Vinnie, recognizing her potential, involved her in his criminal operations. Vivian used her charm and seductiveness to lure men into traps set by Vinnie and his gang, setting up meetings under the guise of romantic encounters, only for the men to be ambushed and robbed or blackmailed.