The Break He Needed

The cemetery was quiet, the morning sun casting long shadows across the neatly tended graves. Johnny stood before Vinnie's headstone, hands in his pockets, the crisp autumn air biting at his skin. He glanced down at the simple marker, the etched dates marking the beginning and end of a life cut tragically short.

"Hey, Vinnie," Johnny murmured, his voice barely above a whisper. "I'm sorry it's been so long."

He took a deep breath, letting the silence wash over him. The weight of recent events pressed heavily on his shoulders, the scars of the past intertwining with the uncertainties of the present.

"I've been trying to piece things together," he continued. "Timmy's up to something big, and I can't help but feel like I'm always one step behind."

He chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Remember when the three of us used to get into all sorts of trouble? Thought we were invincible. Look where it's got us now." Johnny paused, the humor fading from his expression. "I just wish you were here to help me figure this out."

His thoughts were interrupted by the soft crunch of footsteps on gravel. Turning, he saw Vivian approaching, her expression a mix of concern and relief.

"Vivian," he greeted, surprise evident in his voice. "I was gonna check on you, but things got in the way." He gestured to his black eye and the bandages peeking out from under his collar.

She offered a faint smile. "I can see that. Are you okay?"

He shrugged. "Been better, but I'll survive. You know me."

"Yes, I do," she replied, a touch of warmth in her voice. "And I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

"Don't doubt that for a second," Johnny said, a playful glint in his eye. "But a little company never hurts."

She stepped closer, her eyes softening. "Especially after a night like ours."

Johnny chuckled. "True. It was... memorable."

A comfortable silence settled between them before Johnny spoke again. "I've been digging into Timmy's plans. Turns out he's hosting a gala, inviting all the city's elite under the guise of a charitable event. But it's a front."

Vivian's brow furrowed. "A front for what?"

"He's using the gala to identify people on the ledger," Johnny explained. "He's planning to introduce a drug—something Dr. Clark developed—to see who bites. It's a way to flush out the corrupt among the elites and find out who might know about the ledger."

Vivian's eyes widened. "That's dangerous. Those people could get hurt."

"Which is why I need to stop him," Johnny said firmly. "But it's not going to be easy."

"I want to help," Vivian said resolutely.

Johnny shook his head. "It's too dangerous. If Timmy realizes what we're up to—"

"He won't," she interrupted. "Think about it, Johnny. If we go together, we can propose a diversion. I have what he really wants—the ledger. It's in a safe deposit box. We can use that to our advantage."

Johnny hesitated, weighing the risks. "You're suggesting we use the ledger as bait?"

She nodded. "It's better than innocent people getting caught in his trap. If we can draw his attention away from them, it might give us the leverage we need."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "You're right. But we have to be smart about this."

"We will be," she assured him. "We'll figure it out together."