Chapter One: Dead or Alive, Alive or Dead

Again, as usual, I sat in the library. The best place of this school is that huge room I sit in everyday, with the endless maze of books to get you out of reality, even just for a little bit. I bring my bag of books everyday either to return, or get a new batch of books to complete. But that's all, that is all that makes me, me. That's all I am, a social outcast who hangs out in the library because no one would talk to me, unlike these books I hold everyday which seem like I'm being spoken to through a page.
   I am a pretty average person, personally. People often find my style amusing, like how I have a huge obsession over long coats and trench coats. I like the flow of them, I feel like a movie character, or a detective sometimes. I'm kind of rambling, but moving on. This is kind of embarrassing, but I dyed my hair red last year, to 'stand out' so hopefully people will notice me, and find me a bit interesting for once, instead of a complete weirdo. But it turned out a dark red due to my previous natural hair, brown. Over time, eventually I started to like the color so I kept it, and probably will for a long time. I laid my back against the bottom of the shelf, where my feet lay on the floor in front of me.
I am bored out of my mind, so I just picked up a random book off the ground which was the classic dictionary, and I started reading it hoping to find some words that catch my eye to add to my vocabulary. No one goes into the library at my school, unless they are like me, an introverted idiot.
The library is always dim, especially in the evening when I go a lot. My school stays open for a while after school hours because of all the after school activities they have, which is cool. But I'm not in any clubs. I wish I was, but the anxiety takes over me. I can't imagine walking into a room full of people I either don't know, or I know, but I am not friends with them. And all of them were staring at me and me being alone. I can't take all that embarrassment.
By the way, my name is August. Names are important so keep that in mind. The library distresses me after the day, so that's the main reason why I go. And at this point, I am almost done skimming the dictionary. Then, out of nowhere, I see a head leaning in and looking at my book, blocking my vision. I jumped back and looked up to see who it was.
"The dictionary seriously?" asked the person who scared the life out of me. He was about 5'5 with blonde hair and greenish eyes. And to be honest, he kind of looked ethereal, but I don't know how to explain it. He was most likely a student here. I looked around nervously and replied,
"Um, yeah. Not many books here catch my interest at the moment."
The guy crossed his arms and looked down. "It's crazy you know?" he suddenly mutters. I raised an eyebrow at what he said, "What's crazy?" I asked. And then he looked at me and had a serious look on his face.
"It's crazy that you can see me."
I looked up at the guy, stunned. What does he mean by that? I can see him fine, but what? I tried to find words to say after that but I ended up stuttering and eventually ended up speaking like a normal human.
"What do you mean by that?"
The guy started to look a bit scared and anxious. He started fidgeting with his hands and looked around frantically. He didn't look nerdy like me at all, he looked likable and well known, which made it very confusing for me to see him like this. It was an awkward situation I was in for sure.
He sat down next to me and put out his arm in front of me.
"What?" I asked. He looked at me nervously and said, "touch my arm."
"Why?" I confusedly questioned.
"Just do it..." he pleaded desperately. I reached over and placed my hand on the top of his hand. I didn't feel anything, I can't explain it, but nothing was there. Nothing solid. My hand just went through his arm, like it wasn't even there. "Ah! What the hell?!" I yelped as I jumped back and hit my head against the bookshelf. The guy had the same weird look on his face as earlier, he looked ashamed. I cooled down a bit, but I still didn't understand what the hell was happening. I rubbed the back of my head where I hit it, and sighed. The guy scooted closer to me.
"Listen," he said calmly, "I am dead. I am not a human, I am past that. I am a ghost and I need your help."
"Why do you need my help?" I asked.
"It's a long story, but I used to go here, at this school I mean. And I don't remember anything about how I died, if I was murdered, or even a suicide. I don't remember it at all. And I need your help to make me be recognized by the people who were close to me to let them know that I am okay. I want to communicate with them because I never got to say goodbye. It's my greatest regret. Please help me." he pleaded desperately.
I never met a dead person before, and I always wanted a ghost experience. I've seen ghost hunting videos on youtube and TV, but never got to see one in real life, sitting right next to me. But something struck me. Something from last year that seemed familiar to me.
"Wait!" I exclaimed, "Is there a chance that you are Michael Livingston?!"
The guy froze and jumped back a bit in shock. He perked up and replied, "Wait, you know me?!"
"Well, uh, not really. I have seen you in the halls and also heard about you alot. You were well known. And I heard the news that someone at our school died! It was you wasn't it?!" I expressed.
"Yes, I am Michael..." he muttered, "But, I need to know if you can help me."
I didn't know what to say, but I felt guilty if I said 'no'. So, I agreed.
The deal is on. And I don't know what will come next.