Chapter Three: A New Visitor to The Library That No One Goes To

The plan was for me to let people know that they can talk to Michael. Which is going to be difficult, since I don't hang out with any of his friends.

            And it's going to be weird because they probably have heard of my nerdy reputation. I headed out from the library and walked down the sidewalk. Abruptly, A paper flies out of my backpack and drifts in a wind towards the back of the school. I chased after it. It was hard to see because of the darkness around me, but I still kept running. But something caught my eye that I never noticed before. It was a memorial. For Michael, next to the big oak tree. I ditched the paper and walked over slowly.

      The name was engraved nicely into a piece of wood with a picture of Michael, and it looked brand new due to the fact he died last year. Flowers and little notes for Michael covered the piece of wood.  I wonder if people would do that same if I were the one to die and not Michael. They wouldn't write notes to me for sure. It's sad. I can't help but wonder what happened to him I thought as I continued to stare at the memorial. The breeze was light, and the leaves slightly shifted on the tree. "Time to head home", I thought. I turned around and walked off with the breeze hitting against my trench coat. I've got a lot to think about.

                                                                                               *~*

              The next day, I woke up from only two hours of sleep. I can't help but overthink the big task Michael has put upon me. But, I need to do this. This could maybe be a chance I could reverse my bad reputation as the schools weird kid by talking to his friends. I stumbled out of bed and got ready in my trench coat, my black tee shirt, and my typical jeans. Downstairs, my mom was making some eggs for me. I sat down and ate my breakfast calmly. "Bye mom," I said as I headed out the door. 

      I won't avoid Michael anymore. At this point, I will just try to deal with it. I arrived at school and made it to my first class like I do every day. I sat down in the back and waited for class to start. I keep an eye out for Michael.

     The class finished, and I continued with my day. The school day was going quickly, I went to each class, and finally the day was almost done. I still haven't seen Michael. I looked around, and then I felt something on my shoulder, finally Michael was here. "Hey, August. Have you talked to anyone about me yet?" asked Michael. 

   "No, I don't really know where to start... I will find a way." I replied. 

     Michael nodded. I looked past Michael and down the hallway. There was Megan. She is part of the Student Government Association, and everyone likes her for her looks, smarts, and kindness. And most of all, she only person who didn't treat me differently despite the rumors. I've suddenly got an idea. "One second," I said to Michael, I walked over to Megan up ahead in the hallway. 

     "Hello, Megan..." I spoke nervously. Megan turned toward me and smiled, "Hi, August. What's up?" I didn't prepare what to say at all. It's a weird thing to bring up. "Um. I need your help about something." I muttered. She perked up, and replied, "Oh, what do you need help with?"

     I froze and tried to put together words. "Its difficult to say, but do you know Michael Livingston?" Megan's face dropped and she looked more serious. "Why are you bringing this up? He died last year." she asked sternly, like its a topic I shouldn't have brought up to her. I carried my courage and told her what's going on. "Michael is here, and I need your help to let others know that we can all talk to him again." 

       Megan looked confused. I guess she didn't believe in such things as ghosts, but I didn't either at first. "I'm confused. What do you mean?" she answered quietly. I had a hard time maintaining eye contact with her because I sound like a literal idiot right now. "Well, I talked to him. He's not alive anymore so he is a spirit now, but he can still communicate with us, and he wanted me to help him let others know he is still here." I said. Megan thought about it, and she responded. "I'm only going to help you if you give me proof he is actually here with us." 

       She is right, who would believe me in the first place. I ushered her to follow me and I headed towards the library with Megan following behind me. Michael had disappeared earlier while I was talking to Megan, but he should be in the library now. I opened the doors into the library and walked to the place where I first met Michael. "Michael! Are you here?" I called out.

        No response. I called again, but no answer. I turned back to Megan, "Sorry he is taking a bit, he is here though. I know it." I called once more and still no answer. Megan shook her head. She looked annoyed.  "Look, August, your nice guy, I trusted to follow you here, but you are acting like a psychopath thinking Michael is still here. It's not cool." Megan turned back towards the exit of the library and started to walk away. 

      "Wait!" called a voice. Megan swung her head back and looked at August. "That wasn't you was it?"  "No," I answered, "It's Michael." Megan eyes widened. "Michael! Where are you?" she called. Michael appeared and Megan covered her mouth with her hands in disbelief. "Michael..."

      "Hey, Megan." Michael said. 

    "You are alive! Well, not alive... But, you are here!" Megan exclaimed. "Yeah..." Michael said as he looked down at the floor. Megan suddenly turned happy as she saw Michael. "We got to tell the whole school! They would be thrilled to know you are still here!" she continued. 

         "That's the problem, the fact that he is still here." I suddenly spoke up. Michael looked at me in confusion. "Michael, you died here and had a very strong connection to this school." I said, "Are you sure you don't remember anything about how you died?" Michael started to fidget with his hands again and didn't answer.  Megan stared at Michael. he suddenly spoke up after regulating his thoughts carefully. "I don't know anything. It's all a blur. I only remember I was hanging with my friends, but that's all. It's not anything that could connect to my death." There really isn't anything that could help us, which really sucks.

        Megan stepped up and looked at me and Michael. "I am going to help you guys find out what is happening here, and help Michael let everyone know he is here with us!" she declared. We both nodded and now things are going to get challenging. Time for us to play detective, I guess.