Introduction

It had been a month. 

At least, that's what Andy thought. Time had blurred, the days blending into nights, marked only by the subtle changes in the season. She'd been on the move, relentlessly, for what felt like forever. No stopping, no real sleep, barely any food or water. Just walking. And sometimes running. She couldn't afford to stop—not with them potentially on her trail, always a step behind, unseen but ever-present. Watching her. But never seen. It was one of their favored tactics, keeping her on edge, always questioning whether she was alone.

The sun was dipping below the horizon, painting the sky with hues of orange and purple, and she knew she couldn't go much further. Her body screamed for rest, every muscle aching, every step a battle. She needed shelter, and soon. There was no way she was stumbling through walker-infested woods at night, not in this state. Just a little longer, she told herself. She would find something. She had to.

A rustling noise behind her snapped her out of her thoughts, and she whipped around, heart pounding as she ducked low. Fuck. It's them. They'd finally caught up. Panic surged through her as she scanned the area for cover, her instincts taking over. She spotted the nearest tree and scrambled toward it, hoisting herself up with a strength fueled by sheer desperation. It was one of her dad's old tricks, something he'd drilled into her from the beginning. One of the few useful things she still carried with her. She climbed carefully, mindful not to get any cuts—an infection was the last thing she needed right now.

High enough to get a decent vantage point, she paused, her breath coming in ragged gasps. She peered down through the branches, bracing herself for the sight of their faces. But instead, relief flooded her body as she saw the familiar, rotting forms of walkers shuffling below. Thank God. It wasn't them. They hadn't found her yet. She stayed in the tree a while longer, waiting for the small herd to pass, her heart gradually slowing as she regained some composure.

From her perch, she scanned the landscape, searching for anything that could serve as shelter. Her eyes locked onto the top of a small, cabin-like building in the distance, its roof just barely visible through the trees. This is it. Finally, a place to rest.

Once the walkers had moved on, she carefully climbed down, her body protesting with every movement. She maneuvered across the open field, keeping low, careful not to draw the attention of the stragglers still lingering a few miles away. The burning in her calves intensified, but she pushed through it, each step bringing her closer to the cabin.

She reached the door, knocking lightly and holding her breath. Nothing. Good. She tested the handle, finding it unlocked. Gently, she pushed the door open—CREAK—the noise slicing through the silence like a knife. A low growl from within made her heart skip a beat, but she was ready. Knife in hand, she kicked the door wide, dropping low as a walker lunged at her. With practiced precision, she drove the blade through its skull, the undead body collapsing at her feet.

She paused, listening intently for any signs of movement. Nothing. Must've been the only one home. She crept inside, every sense on high alert as she checked the small space for any other threats. The cabin was empty, save for a few scattered belongings. She moved to the kitchen, rummaging through the cupboards. The search yielded little—a few dusty candles and some cans of beans that were way past their expiration date. Great. But she'd had worse. Much worse.

Just as she began to relax, the silence was shattered by a voice, distant but clear. "Negan!"

She froze, her blood running cold. What the hell was that? She grabbed her gun, the familiarity of the weapon grounding her as fear clawed at her mind. Shit. They're here. They found me... But then she hesitated. Wait... who's...

"Negan!" The voice called out again, closer this time, and now she could hear the desperation in it. This wasn't one of them. This was someone else.

Heart racing, she braced herself for whoever was out there.