Open Your Eyes

It had been days. Weeks, maybe? Andy wouldn't know the difference. Time blurred together in the confines of the cell. She was still locked up, and all for doing the right thing. The injustice of it gnawed at her every waking moment. Aaron had come down a few times, dropping off some books to help pass the time. So, Daryl did hear her after all... that stubborn ass.

She passed her days trying to stay sharp, not letting the confinement sap her strength. Push-ups off the wall, pull-ups using the cot—anything to keep her muscles from weakening. If they were going to keep her down here, she wasn't about to get weak. No, she'd stay ready, even if she didn't know what she was staying ready for.

Daryl had returned, just like he said he would, but he still wouldn't let her out on runs. She was allowed some time outside, to help around the community, but she wasn't free. Not really. Not a full citizen. They still saw her as an enemy, despite everything she'd done to help them. She guessed that was the price of survival in this place—keeping her on a leash like a dog. They let her out for a few hours, gave her some "playtime," and then it was right back into the doghouse.

Hadn't she proven herself? She'd been nice, kept her head down. Except for smashing that one guy's face in, which was what landed her in here in the first place. But he deserved it. Everyone knew that, even if they didn't say it out loud.

Lydia was the only one who really got it. Oddly enough, the girl was allowed to visit her. Weren't they supposed to be the enemies? Conspiring together, as some of the townsfolk whispered? Andy laughed at the thought. Still, the talks with Lydia were nice.

The days had dragged on in the cell, each one feeling longer than the last. Boredom had set in, and Andy had taken to reading whatever books she could find to pass the time. She was halfway through a particularly dull chapter when she heard Aaron's voice break the monotony. Andy looked up from her book, her brow furrowing in confusion. A visitor? That was unusual. She didn't really have friends here.

Lydia stepped out from behind Aaron, offering a tentative smile. "Oh," Andy said, her surprise shifting to curiosity.

"I'll give you two an hour, then I'll be back to take you to your cell," Aaron said, his eyes briefly meeting Andy's as he unlocked the door. Lydia nodded and stepped inside, the door clicking shut behind her as Aaron left the two of them alone.

"I brought some cards," Lydia said, waving the deck in her hand like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Andy's brow furrowed in confusion. "Wait. Did he says your cell? Why the hell would you be in the cell?" Her voice carried an edge of indignation. "You're the one who got beat up. Those punks should be locked up, not you."

Lydia's eyes dropped to the floor, her voice barely above a whisper. "It's not because of them. I just... I feel safer in there."

Andy felt a pang in her chest. "Oh, kid—" she began, but Lydia quickly cut her off.

"You don't have to feel sorry for me," Lydia said, her tone firm but carrying a hint of vulnerability. "I just wanted to say thank you. For defending me. You didn't have to. You barely know me."

Andy shook her head, her expression softening. "Yeah, I did. And yeah, I do know you, more than you think." Lydia looked up, confused, so Andy continued. "My dad... was never really a dad like he should've been. He was the leader of the group I ran from. Seems like we both have parents we're trying to escape."

Lydia's eyes widened in understanding, a shared pain passing between them. For a moment, neither spoke, just letting the weight of their experiences hang in the air. Finally, Lydia shuffled the deck of cards, her voice steady but gentler. "So... you up for a game?"