Them

Andy's mind was a whirlwind of memories as she reflected on her past. She had run away, leaving behind a life that had never truly been hers. Her father, the man everyone called "Pope," had kept her around out of a sense of twisted duty, masking his disappointment with harsh words and relentless training. He had raised her to be a soldier, expecting her to follow in his footsteps, but she had never quite fit the mold. She wasn't like them—like the family of killers they had become. She still had her humanity, a flickering light in the overwhelming darkness.

"Trust me," she had said to the Council, her voice laced with bitterness. "He's probably glad to be rid of me."

It wasn't just that she wasn't as tough as them; it was more than that. Andy had wanted to help people, to use the skills her father had drilled into her to make a difference in the world, maybe even start over. But Pope and the rest of the group had different ideas. As the world descended into chaos, they had embraced the darkness, becoming predators in a world where only the fittest survived. They tore through Virginia, leaving a trail of smoke and ash in their wake, and Andy hated every moment of it. She wanted to settle down, to find a place where they could stop running, stop hurting people. But Pope had dismissed her desires, refusing to listen.

When they came across a place called Meridian, Andy had seen it as a potential home, a place where they could finally stop. But Meridian was just another target to Pope, another place to conquer and destroy. Andy had felt her hope slipping away. She had thought of escaping before, of finding a group with similar values, people who still held on to some shred of decency in this broken world. But she knew the risks. If she ran, they would find her, and they would punish anyone who had the misfortune of crossing her path. The thought of innocent people being hurt because of her was unbearable.

But as they prepared to take over Meridian, Andy realized she couldn't stay. The killing, the burning, the complete lack of remorse—it was too much. She had to leave. That was her chance. They would be so focused on the attack that they wouldn't notice her slipping away.

So she left, silently slipping into the night while they wreaked havoc on Meridian. She didn't look back, forcing herself to move forward, driven by the hope that somewhere out there, she could find a place to start over, a place where she could finally be herself, free from the shadows of her past. But now. Those shadows are back to haunt her.

_

She moved silently through the woods, every sense on high alert. Her eyes scanned for any sign of movement, her ears attuned to the slightest sound. They had to be here. The Reapers wouldn't leave without finishing what they'd started. Spotting some footprints in the dirt, she crouched down to examine them. They could belong to the Reapers—or to one of their victims. Either way, they would lead her to whoever was responsible for the devastation at the barn.

Realizing she needed a better vantage point, Andy glanced up and spotted a sturdy tree with dense foliage, perfect for concealing herself while getting a clearer view. She quickly scaled the tree, climbing higher until she almost reached the top. That's when she heard it—a soft gasp.

Her head snapped up, and her breath caught in her throat. A young boy, perched on a branch a few feet above her, was staring at her with wide eyes. He was small, with a baseball cap pulled low over his brow. Hershel, she realized. It had to be him.

He looked scared, and when he began to shift, as if preparing to flee, Andy quickly spoke in a hushed tone. "Hey, hey, hey, wait. You must be Hershel?"

He stopped moving but didn't answer. Smart kid, she thought. She tried again. "I'm a friend of your mom's—Maggie. Elijah and Cole, too. My friends Kelly and Daryl are with them right now, looking for you."