TEASER SCENE 2

"Hey, look," said Tyrone.

He was crouched over a small, stone coffin, with dramatic carvings of bat wings and spooky, dark eyes engraved on the lid. Celeste traced a finger over the eerie symbols, unable to shake the feeling that the stone eyes actually were looking at her.

"I wonder what's in it?" asked Fleur, shoving the stone, extravagantly carved lid of the coffin off with much effort. It crashed to the floor with a BANG.

Inside the coffin was a statue of a very beautiful woman with straight, wispy hair that fell around her shoulders. She wore a long, eerie dress with long flowing sleeves, as well as a hooded, swooping cloak. Two bat wings curved out from just above her pointed elf-like ears, fanning out like a crown.

Celeste gasped. "It's Raven."

The former vampire queen's current form was a perfectly captured still life. Her eyes were wide with fear and her mouth was agape, mid scream, showing off her two needle sharp fangs spectacularly, and her long, pointed fingers were curled into fists.

"We still don't know how she died," whispered Rowan sadly.

"Do you think she got attacked?" asked Fleur.

Tyrone shook his head. "She couldn't have been. There aren't any cuts or injuries on her. She clearly got turned to stone in the sun."

"But wasn't she the queen?" said Celeste. "I doubt she would be stupid enough to just wander into the sun."

"This is all very confusing," agreed Tyrone grimly.

Everyone stared down at the statue in the coffin, feeling a mix of sadness, confusion.

And the guilty, tingling sensation of adventure.

Fleur moved her torch towards the stack of books, focusing on one particular spine.

A leather clad book, with text on the spine that seemed to be scrawled in permanent marker.

The text read;

JOURNAL OF GWEN VESPER.

Underneath this heading, it read;

IF YOU READ THIS AND I FIND OUT I WILL MAIM YOU.

Ignoring the warning, Celeste slid the book out of the pile and opened it up to a random page.