TEASER SCENE 3

The other vampires looked different from Gwen.

Their pupils were longer and thinner, and their fangs rolled down further than Gwen's, which only slid to about halfway down her thick, red lip.

Celeste was uncomfortable with the way they stared at her and Rowan, and the quiet but distinct murmur of 'humans' was impossible to miss.

"So, what exactly is this place?" asked Celeste, trying to distract herself from the hostile environment.

Gwen looked at her quizzically. "Curious, aren't you? Well, Veswing isn't really here. But it is."

Celeste cocked her head to the side.

"It's existing and not existing, spontaneously. Look, the consequence of creating a dimension inside another is that sometimes... it struggles to exist. Elders created Veswing to prevent vampires from being stoned by the sun. They didn't realise how unstable this realm would be. Because of this, vampires sometimes just... disappear. Forever."

"That's... scary," said Rowan.

Gwen shrugged. "I guess so. I'm used to it though." She looked down at her feet, then snapped her head back up and said, "don't you guys expect that eachother are going to die when you reach the age of, like, eighty? Isn't that scarier? Some people here live for thousands of years." Gwen blinked, then quickly added, "some live for five."