12.2 || A Task of Death and Savagery

Bile rose in Ilyana's throat which she spat on the ground, tears flooding her eyes

Bile rose in Ilyana's throat which she spat on the ground, tears flooding her eyes. This wasn't meant to happen. They were meant to succeed in taking down the vermin from the Lost Abyss and interrogate them for information about Silas and the Necromancer's Curse. They couldn't fail and let them complete their task of death and savagery.

Ilyana pressed her sleeves to her eyes to soak up the tears and forced her attention back to the battle. As much as she wanted to watch the rest of the guards who were now outnumbered, she couldn't stop watching Clove. Even though the Ogre was double her size, the captain still held her own. A split lip and a bruised eye that would swell later were the only marks of her battle so far. Her punches were nothing to the thick, green skin of her opponent, so all she could rely on were her daggers.

The Ogre had punctures littering his legs and lower torso, but they appeared to be mere nuisances more than wounds that would debilitate.

A scream ripped from the princess' throat as a guard was thrown on top of the bench she hid behind. Her helmet was long gone, revealing twisting agony in her features. Two assassins attacked her at once, the one with claws shredding her armour to pearlescent ribbons and another delving a sword between her ribs.

Ilyana reached out with a hand and pushed her magic into her through the wood, gripping onto the strands of life that slipped away with every moment that passed. As the wound began to seal, a burst of energy being fuelled into the guard's veins, another blade dived into her stomach, dragging upwards until it met bone.

"Please," the princess sobbed to herself as a spray of blood coating her dress and face.

As the assassins left to deal with the remaining three guards, she pulled out some gauze from her bag and rushed around the bench to reach the guard who still clung to life.

"Your Highness," she began, coughing up blood. Too much blood. "Please hide."

Ilyana could only shake her head, blonde stands of hair falling into her face. There was so much death and injury around her that her magic didn't know where to focus, the panic it brought making her unable to form words. Her necklace twisted in several directions as she thrust everything she could summon into the gutting wound, but it wasn't enough. The threads of life she needed to weave the flesh back together faded too quickly. Her lower lip wobbled as colour faded from the guard's face, her eyes devoid of any soul.

"You should do as you're told and hide," a cloaked figure warned as he approached the princess from behind. Underneath the darkness of the hood, a small, singular horn stuck out. "Just because the boss would like you alive doesn't mean you can't be a little damaged." He reached out for the glowing, azure gem but Ilyana shuffled backwards before he could touch it. "Silas will be interested in the magic necklace of yours, that's for sure. He wants to get his hands on another, but I'm sure yours will do too."

"Illy!" Clove yelled as the assassin picked up an axe from the ground. The danger that she put herself in distracted the captain from the Ogre. As she sprinted toward the assassin who raised the weapon high above Ilyana's head, she didn't notice the sage fist headed toward her.