15

Seonghwa sat at the small table, finishing the last bite of his meal while the weight of his situation pressed down on him. The unexpected kindness from his kidnapper had stirred something within him, but he knew he had to tread carefully. The fragile peace they had found was precarious, and he didn't want to shatter it by revealing too much too soon.

He glanced up, catching his kidnapper's gaze as he leaned against the wall, arms crossed, his expression unreadable behind the mask. A surge of determination flooded through Seonghwa. If he was going to be stuck here, he needed to make the most of it—and that meant continuing his studies.

"Can we talk?" Seonghwa asked, his voice steady despite the rapid thumping of his heart.

His kidnapper raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "About what?"

Seonghwa hesitated, the words tumbling in his mind before he found the courage to speak. "About my studies. I'm in my fifth year of law school, and I can't afford to fall behind. It's too important to me."

His kidnapper considered him for a moment, the silence stretching between them like a taut wire. "And you think I care about your studies?" he replied, the slight edge of skepticism in his tone.

Seonghwa leaned forward, urgency lacing his words. "Yes, I do! This is my future we're talking about. If you let me continue studying, I can promise you that I'll be worth keeping around. I can help you, be useful to you. I don't want to be just a prisoner; I want to be something more."

The kidnapper's eyes narrowed, curiosity piqued. "Something more, huh? And what does that entail?"

Seonghwa took a deep breath, his mind racing as he formulated his response. "I can keep you company. I can help you with whatever you need. And once I graduate, I'll be a lawyer. I can even assist you legally if you need it."

His kidnapper chuckled softly, the sound sending a shiver down Seonghwa's spine. "You think I need a lawyer?"

"No," Seonghwa quickly replied, shaking his head. "But I'm resourceful. I can help you navigate things. Just give me the chance. You don't have to keep me locked up like this forever. Let me study, and I'll make it worth your while."

The atmosphere shifted as his kidnapper contemplated his words. Seonghwa could see the wheels turning in his mind, the intrigue behind those piercing eyes.

"Interesting proposition," his kidnapper said, pushing himself off the wall and stepping closer. "But you do realize that education takes time. You could be a captive for quite a while before you graduate. And you're gonna try to escape, aren't you?"

Seonghwa swallowed hard, the gravity of the situation weighing heavily on him. "I know that. But I'll take every opportunity I can get. I just want to be able to focus on my studies without worrying about what's happening outside. I can't go back to that life, not after everything."

His kidnapper watched him intently, as if weighing his sincerity. "And what if I let you study but decide to keep you here indefinitely? How would that make you feel?"

Seonghwa hesitated, the truth bubbling to the surface. "I don't care. If it means I can focus on my studies, I'd rather be here than out there. Out there, I'm a disappointment, a failure. Here, I have the chance to prove myself—no one will judge me for who I am or how I look. I can be free to be myself."

The tension in the room hung thick as his kidnapper absorbed his words. There was something in the way he regarded Seonghwa, a flicker of understanding, perhaps even respect. "You're a curious one, Seonghwa. Most people would be desperate to escape, yet here you are, begging to stay."

"I'm not begging to stay forever," Seonghwa clarified, his heart racing. "I'm asking for a chance to pursue my education. If I prove myself, then maybe you'll consider letting me stay a little longer, even after I finish my studies."

His kidnapper tilted his head, a slow grin creeping beneath the mask. "A deal, then? You keep your studies, and I'll keep you safe until you graduate."

Seonghwa felt a rush of relief wash over him, though he remained cautious. "Yes, but I need a quiet place to study. I-I have my books and supplies, b-but I can't do this without the proper tools."

"Very well," his kidnapper replied, nodding slowly. "I'll provide what you need, but remember, Seonghwa, this is still my game. If at any point I feel you're trying to escape or manipulate me, all bets are off."

"I understand," Seonghwa promised, his voice firm. "But I won't let you down. I'll prove that I can be valuable to you."

His kidnapper held his gaze for a moment longer, the atmosphere shifting as an unspoken agreement formed between them. Seonghwa's heart raced with a mix of hope and apprehension. This was his chance—he was taking control of his fate in a way he never thought possible.

"Alright, then," his kidnapper said, stepping back. "You have your chance. I'll arrange for the supplies you need. But remember, this doesn't change who I am or what I'm capable of."

Seonghwa nodded, determination flaring within him. "Thank you, so much. I wouldn't expect it to."

As his kidnapper turned to leave, Seonghwa felt a flicker of hope ignite within him. He was still a captive, but now he had a purpose, a reason to fight against the darkness that had consumed his life for so long.

As the door clicked shut behind his kidnapper, Seonghwa took a deep breath, embracing the uncertainty that lay ahead. He was no longer just a victim; he was a player in this dangerous game, ready to make his mark and fight for his future.