Chapter 2: Interrupted

Natalie's footsteps echoed softly as she followed Nova up the steps to her house. It was a familiar path, one she had walked countless times, but today felt different, heavier. The excitement they'd shared earlier about creating something meaningful—something that could really make a difference—was beginning to dim. Hours of searching for organizations, events, or any kind of group that aligned with their vision had left them deflated.

Nova unlocked the door and pushed it open with a sigh. "I swear, there has to be something out there," she muttered, frustration thick in her voice. Natalie followed her inside, letting the warmth of Nova's home wash over her. It smelled like lavender and fresh laundry, a stark contrast to her own apartment. As usual, being here made her feel safe, but also uncomfortable in ways she couldn't quite name.

They headed straight for Nova's room, where they had already spent most of the afternoon. The small space was cozy, adorned with posters of bands, fairy lights, and stacks of books and clothes that made it feel lived-in but charmingly unchaotic. Natalie dropped her backpack onto the floor and flopped onto Nova's bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"We've been at this for hours, and we still haven't found anything," Natalie groaned, rubbing her tired eyes.

"I know," Nova replied, sitting down at her desk and wiggling the mouse to wake her laptop. "There has to be something we're missing. Maybe we're not using the right search terms."

"Or maybe no one cares enough to do something about it," Natalie said softly, bitterness creeping into her voice. She sat up, leaning forward with her elbows on her knees, feeling the weight of her earlier hope press down again.

Nova glanced over at her, her eyes softening. "Hey, don't talk like that. People care. We care. We just... haven't found the right thing yet." She turned back to the screen, scrolling through another set of search results that looked just as useless as the last ones.

They sat in silence for a while, the sound of the keyboard clicking filling the room. Natalie watched as Nova tried typing different phrases, her brow furrowed in concentration. Her determination was admirable, even if it was beginning to feel hopeless.

After what felt like an eternity, Nova huffed and leaned back in her chair, spinning it around to face Natalie. "This is impossible. Everything I've found is either too far away, already full, or just not what we're looking for."

Natalie sighed, nodding. "Maybe we're trying too hard. Maybe this isn't something we can even fix."

Nova's eyes narrowed in disagreement, but her lips twisted into a smirk. "That doesn't sound like the Natalie I know. You're always the one coming up with solutions."

Natalie chuckled lightly, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Yeah, well, I'm fresh out of ideas."

For a moment, neither of them said anything. The air between them felt charged, almost electric. Natalie's eyes wandered over Nova's familiar face—her sharp jawline, the way her hair fell in loose waves around her shoulders. There was something about the intensity in Nova's gaze that made Natalie's heart stutter, an unspoken tension building in the room that hadn't been there before.

Nova stood up and crossed the small space to sit beside Natalie on the bed, their shoulders brushing as the bed dipped slightly under the added weight. "Hey," Nova said softly, her voice barely a whisper. "We'll figure something out. We always do."

Natalie turned to look at her, and their eyes locked. The world outside seemed to fade away as the seconds stretched between them, thick and heavy with something unnameable. Natalie felt her pulse quicken, her breath hitching in her throat as she realized how close they were sitting. Nova's eyes flickered down to her lips for just a second, and suddenly the air felt impossibly hot.

Natalie's mind raced, trying to make sense of what was happening—what she was feeling. She wasn't sure if it was the frustration of the day, the shared intimacy of their friendship, or something else entirely, but she felt herself leaning in ever so slightly, her heart pounding in her ears.

Nova's breath hitched, and she shifted closer, her face only inches away now. Natalie could feel the warmth radiating from her skin, their heartbeats syncing with the electric charge between them. Just as their lips hovered on the verge of touching, the shrill ring of a phone shattered the moment.

They jerked apart, both of them scrambling to compose themselves as Nova grabbed her phone from the bedside table.

"It's Gracie," Nova said, her voice shaky. She answered quickly, putting the phone on speaker.

"Hey, Gracie. What's up?" Nova asked, breathless but trying to sound casual.

"Okay, so I've been thinking," Gracie's excited voice crackled through the speaker. "You know how you guys were talking about trying to raise awareness about stuff? I have an idea!"

Natalie and Nova exchanged glances, grateful for the interruption but still feeling the awkward tension lingering between them.

"What's your idea?" Natalie asked, her voice steadier now.

"We should start a club at school!" Gracie exclaimed. "I mean, there's no club for this kind of thing, right? We could create one—bring people together, spread awareness, and maybe even organize events to help students going through tough situations like you, Nat."

Natalie's heart skipped a beat. The simplicity and clarity of Gracie's idea cut through the fog of uncertainty that had clouded their minds all day. It was perfect.

"A club," Nova repeated, a slow grin spreading across her face. "Why didn't we think of that?"

"I know, right? It could be huge! And think about it—we'd have the school behind us, resources, everything we need to make a real difference," Gracie added, her enthusiasm infectious.

Natalie nodded, feeling a renewed sense of purpose rising within her. "Gracie, that's brilliant. We could really do something with this."

"We totally could! I've already started writing down some ideas," Gracie replied, excitement palpable. "Meet me tomorrow at lunch, and we'll plan it out."

"Deal," Nova said, grinning as she hung up the phone. She turned to Natalie, her eyes shining. "Looks like we've got our next move."

Natalie smiled back, feeling lighter than she had in days. The awkwardness from earlier had evaporated, replaced by the rush of a new beginning. A club—something real, something tangible. It felt like the first step toward making the change she had been dreaming about.

"I think this could actually work," Natalie said, her voice full of hope.

Nova bumped her shoulder playfully. "Of course it will. We've got this."

For the first time in what felt like forever, Natalie felt hopeful.