Chapter 12: When the Walls Close In

The next morning was unusually quiet. The house felt still, almost tense, though neither Natalie nor Nova immediately noticed. They woke up entangled, the warmth of their bodies still lingering from the night before. It was hard to distinguish where one ended and the other began, and for a few blissful moments, they just laid there, basking in the intimacy of their shared experience.

"Morning," Natalie murmured, her voice soft and content. She felt a new kind of connection with Nova now—a deeper, more profound understanding of one another.

"Morning," Nova responded with a sleepy smile, her hand brushing a stray hair from Natalie's face. There was something calming about waking up beside her, about feeling like, finally, after all the hardships, they had something that felt... right.

But as they lay there, soaking in the morning light, something in the atmosphere felt off. There was a tension in the house, a kind of charged silence that both of them started to notice as they slowly came to their senses.

"Do you think...?" Nova trailed off, her brow furrowing. "Do you think my mom knows?"

Natalie stiffened at the question, her mind immediately racing back to the events of the previous night. They hadn't exactly been subtle, and the house wasn't large enough to guarantee privacy. "You don't think she heard us, do you?" Natalie asked, her stomach twisting with sudden anxiety.

"I hope not," Nova replied, but there was a hint of doubt in her voice. They shared a nervous glance before pulling themselves out of bed, both of them suddenly feeling the weight of what might come next.

They got dressed in a quiet rush, trying to shake off the awkwardness of the moment, but it lingered like an unwelcome guest. When they finally made their way downstairs for breakfast, Nova's mom, Jenni, was already in the kitchen, a mug of coffee in hand and her expression unusually neutral.

"Morning," Nova said cautiously, her voice a little too upbeat, trying to gauge the situation.

Jenni turned to face them, her eyes settling on Natalie for just a moment longer than usual. "Morning," she replied, but there was something unreadable in her tone.

Natalie felt the blood drain from her face. She knew that look. It wasn't anger exactly, but it was something close—disappointment maybe, or concern. Jenni wasn't the type to raise her voice, but she was the type to make it clear when something wasn't right.

"Can we talk for a second?" Jenni said, her eyes shifting between the two of them. "Just the three of us."

Nova tensed beside Natalie, her fingers curling nervously around the hem of her shirt. "Sure, what's up?" she asked, trying to sound casual.

Jenni sighed, setting her mug down on the counter. She leaned against it, crossing her arms. "Look, I'm not mad, okay?" She paused, giving them both a steady look. "But I'm not blind either."

Natalie's heart sank. So, she did know.

"I heard you two last night," Jenni continued, her voice still calm but firm. "I didn't want to interrupt or make assumptions, but... it's not something I can just ignore. You're both still young, and I know things are complicated right now."

Nova's face flushed red, her embarrassment evident as she shifted uncomfortably. "Mom, we didn't mean—"

"I know," Jenni interrupted gently. "I know you didn't. But this isn't something I'm going to pretend didn't happen. I love you both, and I'm not going to shame you for whatever's going on between you. But I also have to make sure things stay... manageable."

Natalie felt like she was shrinking into herself. She hadn't thought about this part—the part where reality came crashing in after a night of intimacy. They were still just two teenagers living under someone else's roof, with all the rules and boundaries that entailed.

"So," Jenni continued, her voice softening a bit, "for now, I think it's best if Natalie moves into the guest room."

The words hung in the air for a moment, heavy and unspoken until now. The idea of being separated from Nova—even by just a room—felt unbearable. They had spent so much time relying on each other, and now, in a matter of seconds, it felt like that closeness was being torn apart.

"But, Mom—" Nova began, clearly upset.

"It's not a punishment," Jenni said quickly, raising a hand to stop Nova's protest. "It's just a precaution. I'm not trying to keep you apart, but I need to set some boundaries, for both your sakes. You can still spend time together, but sleeping in the same bed... it's too much right now."

Natalie could see the regret in Jenni's eyes. This wasn't easy for her either. Jenni cared about them, but she was also trying to be responsible.

Nova let out a frustrated sigh but didn't argue further. She knew there was no point in pushing. "Okay," she finally muttered, her tone defeated.

Natalie swallowed hard, her throat dry. She didn't want to be the cause of tension between Nova and her mom, but she couldn't help feeling like the fragile bubble they had built around themselves was starting to pop.

Jenni nodded, clearly relieved that Nova hadn't pushed back too hard. "Thank you," she said quietly. "And like I said, this doesn't change anything between us. I'm just trying to look out for you both."

The conversation ended, but the weight of it lingered as Natalie and Nova exchanged a glance. They headed upstairs, the silence between them now thick with unspoken words.

When they got to Nova's room, Natalie sat on the bed, running her hands through her hair. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "This is all my fault."

Nova shook her head quickly, sitting beside her. "No, it's not. We didn't do anything wrong. We just... maybe weren't thinking."

"I hate this," Natalie admitted, her voice shaking slightly. "I hate being separated from you."

"I know," Nova said softly, pulling her close. "But it's just for now. We'll figure it out."

They stayed like that for a while, holding onto each other, both of them feeling the strain of what was happening. It was like the world had conspired to keep them apart just when they had finally found each other.

Later, Natalie moved her things to the guest room, the distance between her and Nova feeling like miles even though it was just a few doors down. That night, as she lay in bed alone, she thought about how much had changed in such a short time. They had gone from friends to lovers, and now, everything felt fragile, like it could slip through her fingers at any moment.

But there was also a sense of hope. Even though they were being separated for now, they still had each other. They still had their connection, their bond. And no amount of physical distance could take that away.