Chapter 15: Cracks in the Foundation

Natalie sat at the kitchen table, finishing up her homework while Nova hovered near the fridge, clearly distracted. The sun had already set, and the cool autumn air drifted through the cracked window. The room was quiet except for the soft hum of the refrigerator and the faint clatter of Jenni rummaging through the kitchen, probably preparing something for dinner. Natalie noticed an unusual tension in the air—something felt off, more than just the regular buzz of everyday life.

Nova sighed as she slammed the fridge door shut, a little harder than necessary. "We're out of milk again," she muttered under her breath.

From across the kitchen, Jenni responded without looking up. "I know, Nova. I'll grab some tomorrow." Her voice was tired, dismissive.

Nova's jaw clenched. She crossed her arms and leaned against the counter, staring at the fridge like it had personally offended her. Natalie glanced over, sensing the subtle shift in Nova's mood. She knew something was up—Nova hadn't been herself all evening. It wasn't just the lingering awkwardness from the hickeys everyone had whispered about at school. This felt deeper, heavier.

Once Jenni left the room, the silence between Natalie and Nova grew uncomfortable. Natalie put down her pen, unsure whether to speak. She watched Nova out of the corner of her eye, noticing how tense her girlfriend had become.

"Are you okay?" Natalie finally asked softly, breaking the silence.

Nova stiffened, her eyes darting away. For a moment, it seemed like she wasn't going to answer. Then, she let out a deep sigh and sat down across from Natalie at the table, her fingers tracing absent patterns on the wooden surface.

"It's just... my mom," Nova began, her voice low. "She's been really difficult lately."

Natalie frowned. "What do you mean?"

Nova hesitated, clearly grappling with whether to open up. She sighed again, her expression hard to read. "My mom... she's not always easy to live with. She gets in these moods, you know? And when she does, it's like I can't do anything right. She says things—things that hurt, but then she pretends like they didn't happen later. I try to ignore it, but it gets under my skin."

Natalie's heart clenched. She had never imagined that Nova, who always seemed so confident and carefree, had been carrying something so painful.

"Nova..." Natalie whispered, unsure of what to say.

Nova bit her lip, struggling to find the right words. "I don't really talk about it because... it's just hard. I wish I could live with my dad sometimes. He gets me, and he's always been better about giving me space. But my mom has full custody, and there's nothing I can do about it."

Natalie's eyes widened. "You've never told me that before."

Nova gave her a small, sad smile. "Yeah, because what's the point? I'm stuck here, and there's no changing it. My dad lives across the state, and I only see him during breaks. It's like... I don't really have a choice, you know?"

Natalie reached across the table, taking Nova's hand in hers. "You're not alone, Nova. I didn't know it was this hard for you... I'm sorry."

Nova squeezed her hand, her eyes softening. "You've got your own stuff to deal with, Nat. I didn't want to burden you with mine."

"That doesn't matter," Natalie insisted gently. "We're in this together. I don't want you to feel like you have to go through any of this on your own."

For a moment, they just sat there in silence, their hands entwined. Nova's shoulders relaxed slightly, the tension easing out of her body as she let herself lean on Natalie. It felt like a weight had lifted, even if only a little.

The next day at school, Nova and Natalie walked into the club meeting with a renewed sense of purpose. Both of them were still reeling from their conversation the night before, but now that they had shared their burdens, something had shifted. Their club had been focused on helping students like Natalie, those struggling with neglect and difficult home situations. But after everything Nova had revealed, they both knew the club needed to expand its scope.

As the meeting began, Natalie raised her hand to speak. "I've been thinking," she said, her voice steady, "we've been focusing on one type of problem, like what I've been through at home. But there are a lot of other struggles that people face, too. Stuff we don't talk about enough."

The room quieted as everyone listened intently. Mr. Baker, their club sponsor, nodded encouragingly.

Nova picked up where Natalie left off. "Some of us deal with parents who aren't outright abusive, but they're still hard to live with. There's financial pressure, mental health issues, or parents who put us down emotionally. It's just as real, and just as hard to get through."

Casper, who had been sitting on the floor, leaned forward. "So, you're saying we should focus on all kinds of family issues, not just neglect?"

"Exactly," Natalie replied. "There are so many ways that home life can be unstable. We should offer support for anyone who's struggling, whether it's because of mental health, emotional abuse, or just not feeling like they have a safe space."

The room buzzed with energy as ideas started flying. Gracie suggested expanding their resource list to include mental health organizations and support groups. Jackson volunteered to organize workshops on how to handle difficult conversations with family members. Gabe, who was sitting with Casper, added that they should create a safe space where club members could vent about their struggles without feeling judged.

As the meeting wrapped up, Natalie felt a deep sense of satisfaction. The club had always been important to her, but now it felt like they were building something even bigger—something that could help people like Nova too. She squeezed Nova's hand as they left the meeting, feeling closer to her than ever.

Later that evening, back at Nova's house, the two of them curled up on the couch, their fingers intertwined. The weight of their individual struggles still lingered, but now it felt different. They had each other to lean on, and together, they were building something meaningful. Something hopeful.

"You okay?" Natalie asked softly, her head resting against Nova's shoulder.

"Yeah," Nova whispered, her voice calm. "I think I'm going to be okay."

As they drifted off to sleep, curled up in each other's arms, Natalie felt a sense of peace settle over her. She wasn't just surviving anymore. She had found hope, and she knew that as long as she and Nova were together, they could face whatever came next.