CHAPTER 9

Hana was almost dozing off while eating her meal. She was very tired. She left the rest of the food untouched, staring at it. She lifted her head and scanned the room absentmindedly.

Something was not right. People were suddenly staring at her. There were whispers coming from every corner of the room.

She wiped her mouth and got up to leave. Just then the phone buzzed silently. It was Soo Ya, her direct manager, and Secretary to her boss Kang Ji Yeon. The hot shot heiress of Leia Corp. The fashion house that had hired her 3 years ago. 

"Yes, Jenny." Hana asked lazily. "What's up?"

"Hana get your ass up to your room right now. And cover your face." Jenny was in full panic mode, yelling at the top of her voice. But that was not new. She was always like that no matter what the issue was.

"Calm down Soo Ya, Il be there in 2 mins." Hana cut the phone and ran towards the door pulling Jae's cap low over her eyes.

As she exited the door and took the turn, Jae came running into the restaurant, missing her by seconds. He looked around the room ignoring the shouts of admiration and surprise from the other diners. He completely forgot for a second that he was a celebrity and he was not allowed to run around free without security or even a mask or a cap.

Jae bowed low in acknowledgment , flashing the famous, deep dimpled smile and with a quick wave of his hand he exited the door he came from, bumping right into Hana.

Jae instinctively reached out to catch her... but froze halfway. He was a celebrity. He can't be seen like this! Not another scandal with her.

"If I touch her, there'll be headlines again by morning..." Jae thought instinctively.

He yanks his arms back at the last second, like someone playing a game of "hot potato." He saw Hana start to fall, slow-motion-style, as her eyes widen in shock.

Hana, thinking to herself "ARE YOU JUST GONNA WATCH ME FALL YOU DUMBO?!"

Jae, panicking too, made the next best move—throwing his body to the ground, he placed his hand just where her head was about to hit.

Super impressed with himself and his reflexes, he grinned at her. 

But Hana hit the ground. With a hard thud. Missing his hand by quite a few inches. She was more annoyed than hurt. She sat up, glaring at him. 

"There! you missed my hand." He looked up at her with complete astonishment. 

How could he miss like that. Jae was totally annoyed at himself for miscalculating the distance.  That must have really hurt.

Hana looked at him wide eyed. "Wow. So heroic." She bowed to him sarcastically, rubbing the back of her head where she had hit the floor.

Jae awkwardly crouched beside her, his grin sheepish. Her shirt had dropped down her shoulder exposing the creamy, glowing skin of her neck and shoulders. Jae reached out instinctively and pulled her shirt back over her shoulders. For a moment his long fingers brushed her bare shoulders and he felt his temperature go through the roof.

"How could anyone's skin be this smooth and silky." He thought to himself.

He had no experience in dating but he had often held hands with fans at a fan meets or had slight physical contact with female staff while working on shoots. But nothing had prepared him for her. All he knew is he wanted more.

Hana swallowed hard, trying to gather her thoughts together. His fingers seemed to burn her skin. She quickly flicked his hand away. This was dangerous territory. And she refused to enter its gates.

"Are you hurt? I'm really sorry, I didn't see you coming around the corner." Jae spoke with a strained voice.

Hana was staring at him with uncertainty in her eyes. "Twice in one evening? Don't you think it's too much of a coincidence?" She asked sarcastically.

"Hey, at least I didn't let you get a concussion. I really tried to help. Do you know how much my arm is insured for? And these precious fingers?" Jae retorted, his fighting spirit back, wriggling his fingers in front of her face. 

Hana, deadpan, blurted out "Go to the doctor and send me the bill."

Jae pulled out his phone and handed it to her. "Here give me your name and number, I will be sure to contact you." He wished she would take the bait and give him her number.

She ignored his phone. Damn! Looks like he wasn't getting it any time soon.

"What a narcissistic donkey." Hana though to herself.

"Huh, what was that?" Jae looked at her in utter disbelief.

Oh my, did she just say that out loud? Red stained her cheeks. Good. Serves him right.

She tried to get up, but in an instant Jae was on his feet. He held out a hand for her. But she ignored it and stood up.

"Il remember that". He bent close and whispered in her ears.

Hana made sure she avoided his eyes.

During the fall his cap had fallen off her head. Jae bent down, picked it up and placed it back on her head. "I told you I don't want anyone to see your pretty eyes." He said, softening his voice.

Hana's heart skipped a beat. She stared into his eyes with surprise, her lips slightly parted.

Jae took a step towards her with an obvious intention. Her full, pouting lips had a rosy hue to it. He had noticed it before, backstage, and was drawn to them, again he couldn't help but stare at them now.   Buzzz.

Hana's phone rang. She gathered her shirt together and without a backward glance she ran towards the elevators.

Jae placed a hand over his heart and sighed. "Fate is playing a dirty game with me." He thought to himself. With a broad dimpled grin he yelled. "Hey, wait for me."

Hana quickened her steps. Trying to put as much distance between herself and that damn handsome devil that was making her heat beat like a maniac.

Unfortunately she had to wait for the elevator. She looked down at her feet praying for the elevator to miraculously appear.

She saw his long legs appear beside her and her heart sank.

The elevator doors opened and she got in pressing the button for the 6th floor. Jae got in beside her. She looked at him from the corner of her eyes.

Silence. Was he expecting her to wait on him?

She looked at him directly this time. "Aren't you going to pick a floor?"

He cocked his head and gestured towards the buttons. "It's already picked for me." He replied.

Hana slowly turned her head and looked straight ahead, closed her eyes breathing in and out slowly and deliberately.

She heard Jae chuckle. She felt her blood pressure rise. Good judgement and the current circumstances told her it wasn't a good idea to kill him tonight.

"Ultimately, fate is a reminder that life is not just about where we want to go, but about how we get there. It's the detours, the surprises, the twists and turns that shape us. And while we may not always understand why things happen the way they do, fate teaches us that the journey itself is where the real magic lies."

***