day 4

The acrid scent of smoke filled the air, a choking, suffocating blanket that seemed to amplify the fear that gripped Nicholas. The stranger's laughter, a chilling, mocking sound, echoed in the smoke-filled room, each syllable a reminder of their vulnerability.

Nate, his face pale and drawn, coughed violently, clutching his side. Nicholas, his heart pounding in his chest, desperately tried to assess the situation. The stranger, a hulking figure shrouded in shadows, stood amidst the swirling smoke, his eyes gleaming with a cold, calculating amusement.

"You think you can call for backup?" the stranger sneered, his voice a low growl. "You're trapped, both of you. And I'm going to enjoy watching you suffer."

He took a step closer, his hand hovering near the waistband of his pants, where Nicholas could see the faint outline of a weapon. Panic surged through Nicholas, a cold wave of dread washing over him. He had to think fast, find a way to escape, to protect Nate.

The smoke alarm, its piercing wail now a constant presence, provided a distraction. Nicholas, seizing the opportunity, lunged forward, his hand reaching for the fire extinguisher mounted on the wall. He felt the cool metal in his grasp, the weight of it a reassuring presence in the chaos.

"Don't even think about it," the stranger growled, his voice laced with a chilling threat.

But Nicholas was already moving. He swung the fire extinguisher, aiming for the stranger's legs. The impact was solid, sending the stranger stumbling back, a surprised grunt escaping his lips.

Nicholas, fueled by adrenaline, didn't hesitate. He grabbed Nate, his arm wrapped tightly around his friend's waist, and pushed him towards the back door.

"Run!" he shouted, his voice barely audible above the cacophony of the alarm.

They stumbled through the doorway, the cold night air a welcome relief. They ran, their lungs burning, their legs heavy, until they reached the safety of the street.

As they stood there, catching their breath, the distant wail of sirens pierced the night. Backup was on its way.

But the stranger's laughter, a chilling echo of their ordeal, still lingered in the air, a reminder of the danger they had just escaped.