𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐚

It was the routine.

Snap! Snap!

Her hands always snapped the pictures of a crime scene or a criminal's face, it was her job and she was good at it.

Yet, she spent her time behind a desk. Tapping her heel on the tile floor as she focused on her work, her walls covered in photographs of crime scenes of the past.

"Morgan, case #1295 is being filed. Good work." It was a constant speech she heard each time she'd complete a shoot for a case, her boss was the messenger.

She would nod as her tired eyes stayed glued to her computer screen as she typed away on her keyboard to finish some report, a cold cup of coffee was on a coaster as it just waited to be drank from again.

That was Ruby Morgan's life, the most dedicated criminal photographer in the 104 Precinct. She was in her late 20s and already had many achievements for her work.

Her life in the office and her life at home were opposite of each other. At work, she worked her fingers off until they felt numb or cold and her eyes were always tired. At home, she spent her time sleeping with her dog, Bowie and never thought of anything else as she relaxed.

Ruby grew up as a strict catholic in both English and Russian, her parents were to blame for her religion. Her mother was Russian and her father was American, both very different.

______________________________
It was a normal day, but Ruby was off. She was on the phone with her mother, she always talked with her parents since she lived pretty far from home.

Ruby was waiting for her new camera to come in for her job, since her other one was smashed by a random stranger in a black mask during a rainy night.

______________________________
(FLASHBACK)

Ruby was sent out late to a crime scene that just happened near the docks, she has her camera as rain poured down. She understood that the Russian gangs were in some kind of circle. Her finger clicked the shutter button as she walked around the bodies and the scene, her boot hitting the gravel.

She froze as she snapped a picture and looked closely at it when she saw what she snapped. A figure, a dark figure.

The figure eventually pinned Ruby down on the ground as he was suspicious of her. Of course Ruby was panicked and had to explain why she was there, it ended with her camera being smashed into bits. Smashed meaning thrown hard into the ground.

______________________________
(REALITY)
Ruby hung up with her mother when the door was knocked on, she knew her camera arrived. She held the box and smiled ever so slightly.

As she opened the box, she loved her new camera. It was like a new toy on Christmas morning.

She programmed her new camera and placed it with her work bag so it was ready.

______________________________
The routine was the same, even with the new camera.

"Morgan. New case, #9537. Due tomorrow. pictures need to be uploaded." The case assigner said, Ruby only smirked a little before she grabbed the folder.

She grabbed her camera and took the SD card out, she placed it into the PC tower and waited.

She chose the pictures needed and printed them out, they were placed into the folder after.
______________________________
Her day ended with a clock out and a drive home, her dog was always happy to see her. He'd bark and paw the door as he heard her coming down the hall.

______________________________
(Bowie, A Mini Aussie)

______________________________The day always ended with Bowie cuddled up next to her and they would fall asleep

The day always ended with Bowie cuddled up next to her and they would fall asleep.

This night was rather different, as in the morning. It would all change, forever.