Chapter 2: Rumours

Strong language used*

My new bungalow neighbour, Mr. Grady, had proven to be a very unpredictable and energetic character. Hence, I was determined not to let him change any of my previous life's peace. Jumping onto my own, second handed motorbike, I headed off for work at seven in the morning. I had to monitor Rexy's breakfast since he was going through his T-Rex puberty phrase.

I was more than surprised when my colleagues began to talk about Owen in the preparation kitchen. "He's from the U.S. Navy, right?" Britney, a girl who had just been transferred here for a month, questioned her worker quietly. Together they attempted to cut a massive chunk of meat off a dead cow.

The other woman was in her late twenties, which was why I startled when she began to giggle like a thirteen years-old school girl. "Apparently, he's used to have a thing with Claire."

Britney gasped, and they locked gaze for a friction of seconds before giggling even more. "He's the rough type of guy, and he's pretty hot too-"

"No wonder Claire's gone out with him-"

I cleared my throat to let them know of my presence. Despite the well known fact that Claire wasn't very popular among the trainers, since she was upright, strict, and considered the dinosaurs assets, I still couldn't allow others bitch about Claire like that. She was a friend.

I kept my eyes on the board in my hand, ticking off lists and fully aware that Britney and her friend were exchanging annoyed glances. "Hey, Vigil," the older woman decided to start off with a friendlier tone. "Didn't the new guy move into the new bungalow from across yours?"

I didn't even need to answer her question. Britney chimed in excitedly, her young face filled with enthusiasm. If only she had the same passion for the dinosaurs as she had for men. "How's he like? Hot?"

I tilted my head slightly, then blushed when I realized it was Owen's habit when he was thinking as well. Collecting myself, I turned to leave before answering thoughtfully, "Owen likes to eat, a lot."

I left them with that and returned to the monitoring room to meet Rexy.

"How's your new neighbour?" Ben, straightening from his seat, asked the moment I stepped into the spacious room. My gaze drifted to the ceiling-to-floor glasses instantly, looking out for Rexy.

I shrugged, "He's alright."

"If there's some sort of problems," Ben continued hastily, "Just tell me. I'm sure I can tell someone or even Claire-" Since Ben had been working here for most of his life, he was a well respected member of the community. Sometimes, even Claire had to pretend to listen to his advice.

I smiled and stopped him, "It's fine, Ben. Owen seems like a nice guy, anyway." An overly friendly person, I added mentally. Ben sighed contently and joined me in front of the glass. Something rustled in the bushes on our left.

"It's good for you, you know," Ben remarked as I tried to concentrate on the bushes instead. "You've been working here for like, how long has it been?"

"Six years," I answered, still looking out for Rexy. Through the time that I had worked here, Rexy had grown a lot too. Ben nodded to my reply and shook his head.

"Your old man brought you in when you were only 19. He and I never knew you would fall in love with this place as much as we did. Your old man was glad of course. But through these years, all you have been interacting with properly are Rexy and I-"

I made a face at him, "And Claire, too."

A tiny smile played at his lips, then an earth-shaking roar interrupted our conversation. I paused in my place, as I had done whenever Rexy came to my presence. The beauty of the creature always managed to steal my breath away. Stepping into the clear opening before the glass that separated us, Rexy bared his teeth and growled. His eyes were small and focusing, and his little front claws wavered.