004. . . competitive and flirty

CHAPTER FOUR !!-> "COMPETITIVE AND FLIRTY"

CHAPTER FOUR !!
-> "COMPETITIVE AND FLIRTY"

SILAS ANDERSON:

Silas was in a rush to get to his next class, having just escaped the hell that was detention. His head was still clouded from the boredom of sitting in that stuffy room, so he wasn’t paying much attention to where he was going. As he rounded the corner, he collided with someone.

It felt like slamming into a wall, but the weird thing was—he was the one nearly falling to the ground.

The other person, whoever they were, had some serious balance. He stumbled backward, barely catching himself in time, while the person in front of him didn’t so much as wobble. In fact, she did some kind of smooth twist and stayed perfectly upright, her feet firmly planted.

“Sorry!” she said, flashing a smile that made him pause.

Silas blinked, taking in the sight of her. He had never seen her around before, which was strange, because Woodsboro wasn’t exactly a big place. She was shorter than him, with bright eyes and a calm, easy-going smile. There was something about her—a kind of energy he couldn’t quite place.

“Nah, my bad,” Silas muttered, still trying to regain his composure. He nodded and moved past her, heading for his next class, but something about the interaction stuck with him.

When he got to class, Jules and Abbigail were already seated. Jules was tapping his pen against the desk rhythmically, clearly bored out of his mind, while Abbigail looked as unbothered as ever, scrolling through her phone until class started.

“Yo, Silas,” Jules greeted when Silas slid into the seat next to him. “How was detention?”

“Waste of time,” Silas said with a groan, running a hand through his hair. “But I ran into someone on my way here.”

“Oh yeah?” Abbigail raised an eyebrow, her voice carrying the faintest hint of sarcasm. “Should we be concerned?”

Silas chuckled. “No, but she did this weird trick to keep from falling when I bumped into her. Like, some kind of ninja stuff.”

Jules snorted. “Sounds like you got played.”

“Nah, I’m serious,” Silas said, shaking his head. “I’ve never seen her around before. It was weird.”

Abbigail glanced at him, then shrugged. “Maybe she’s new. Or maybe you’re just losing your mind.”

Silas rolled his eyes. “Yeah, thanks, Abby.”

They didn’t dwell on the subject for long as class started. Silas tried to pay attention, but his mind kept drifting back to the girl and the way she had handled herself so effortlessly.