Chapter 3: Asher Preston

Riley glumly walked home. She didn't think first grade in California would be so hard.

"WHOOSH!"

"Ow!"

Riley looked up. Looking towards her was a boy who looked about her age.

"Sorry."

His hair was a dark shade of brown, almost black. His eyes were the same color, but a lighter shade.

"Hi. I'm Riley Carson."

"I'm Asher Preston."

"Nice to meet you."

"You look sad. What's wrong?"

Riley considered her situation before answering. A stranger almost ran over her, and then asked her if she was sad. The boy didn't look dangerous so she started to talk.

"Well, a lot of things are wrong. I thought I had friends, but I don't. I thought my sister liked to play with me, but I don't think she does. And mother seems..."

"HAH! Mother? That's what you call your mommy?"

"Mommy? What's a mommy?"

"You don't have a mommy?"

"I have a mother."

"Well everyone needs a mommy. You can share my mommy!"

"Okay. What does a mommy do?"

"A mommy makes you cookies when you are sad, and gives you a hug. She makes you breakfast and she tucks you in to bed and reads you a bedtime story. What do mothers do?"

"Mothers tell you to go to your room when you are sad. They tell you to make your own breakfast and read your own book during bedtime. And they make you help your sister even when you don't want to."

"Come to my house Riley. You can meet my mommy. Then I can play with you and we can be friends. Would that make you happy?"

"Yeah. I think so."

"One question before we go."

"Yes?"

"Do you like playing dress up and dolls?"

"No. I hate dress up. I like tennis and volleyball."

"Good. I don't like people who like to play dress up."