Chapter 1 Part 5

Chapter 1 Part 5

Bill had come up behind her and pilfered a bit of the beef. She swatted playfully at his hand and missed.

"I only starve for you, Love," he said giving her a quick hug before sitting at the table.

"Mmhmm, we'll see how that goes later," she teased in return and then placed the two sandwich laden plates on the table. "Eat first and tell me what you think of Captain Weston."

Bill took a bite and chewed thoughtfully for several seconds before answering.

"He seems genuinely interested in acquiring our help," he began, listing. "He's a former military officer but left the army sooner than he would have wished. He's a bit vain and should wear reading glasses. He smokes cigars even though he declined the one I offered him and he has absolutely no idea how to proceed with this case." Bill looked at his wife, waiting for her to take up the second part of the game they regularly played.

Patches washed a bit of sandwich down with a sip of coffee. "The ring must be from a military academy," she said.

"West Point, class of '55," Bill replied nodding. "That's one point for you."

"Let's see," she continued doing the math in her head. "The time from graduation to the present is a little short for a normal officer's tenure, so he left the military prematurely."

"Two points," Bill said. "We can't determine the reason for his departure though."

Patches looked at him over the rim of her glasses, her eyes sparkling. He knew she would have more but that would come in a bit. The rules of the game were never broken, it would be her turn soon enough.

"I'm not sure of the vanity part," Patches said.

"One point for me," he replied. "Though I admit it was a bit of stretch. He squinted when he looked at the drawings and probably should use at least reading glasses, but does not. It's logical to conclude that he is a bit vain. Do you have another theory?"

"I do, but in a moment," she smiled, holding up her hand. "The cigar smoking first; there must have been nicotine stains on his fingers though I wasn't close enough to see them, right?"

"And the lady wins with three points!" Bill said. "Now what do you have to add to the factual observations?"

"Our dear Captain Weston," she began, standing up and pacing off a few steps, "is prone to anger and tries very hard to control it but is unsuccessful more often than not. He's intimidated by you but more intimidated by me. He's never been married, lives alone, and would rather spend his off time in the pub. He has set opinions that he rarely deviates from, probably brought on by his parents, both of whom are more than likely deceased. His mother was gentle and demure, his father strict and overbearing."

TO BE CONTINUED
#killingdreams

**********

Ready for more Patches and Doctor Bill? Get the full length novel on Amazon!

Kindle Edition: http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Dreams-Myssah-Lee-ebook/dp/B0083VB32W/ref=sr_1_6_twi_2_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1431893625&sr=8-6&keywords=killing+dreams

Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Dreams-Myssah-Lee/dp/1468142917/ref=tmm_pap_title_0/186-7375186-1611752?ie=UTF8&qid=1431893625&sr=8-6

Visit me on my Goodreads Author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6489868.Myssah_Lee

And don't forget to check out my (sadly neglected) blog also on Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6489868.Myssah_Lee/blog

To find me on Facebook search "Myssah Lee" or "Killing Dreams"

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow and share!