prologue

"Good morning, mom." Sam smiled when she entered the kitchen. Her mother, Delia, was cradling a cup of coffee as she glanced up and greeted her daughter with a grin. She grabbed an apple from the fruit basket, joining her mom at the counter. Leaning back, she swiped her coffee from her.

"Why so silent?" Sam questioned, downing the coffee. When Delia didn't reply, Samantha looked at her. But this time she really looked at her. Her mom was sporting dark purple bags under her eyes and it seemed as if the wrinkles on her face had doubled.

"Mom." Sam placed the mug down behind her. "What's wrong?"

This time her mother spoke.

"Oh nothing, sweetie. It's just a sleepless night." Her mother laughed her off picking up the mug Samantha once had.

She watched as her mom raced away and a few seconds later she heard the sound of a door slamming shut echoing throughout their one story home. Samantha sighed but shrugged her mom's weird act off. Maybe it was a sleepless night, she tried to convince herself, but even to her it sounded like a big fat lie. Trashing the half eaten apple, Samantha picked up her bag and jacket and disappeared into harsh cold of the winter.

Samantha would regret not questioning her mother further and she would regret throwing out the apple she could've, should've finished off. And while she was laughing it up with her friends at school and making nasty comments about the school food, her mother was crying at the amount of bills stacked up on her nightstand and wondering where she would get the money for their next meal. While Samantha made pretty rude comments about the poor fashion of some of the students of her school wore and making plans to go on a road trip with her friends, Delia was reading the foreclosure letter she had received from the bank and selling her stuff in a desperate attempt to rake in cash.

---

I know this is a pretty short prologue. It's not even half a page, ha ha! But I wanted you guys to have a bit of information to propel you forward into the story with a bit of understanding. Also I wanted to let you guys know that this story will be a one pov story with Delia's [Samantha's, the main character, mother] POV.

-Jennifer :*