Inconvenience

A/N: Hello my lovelies! A short chapter today, but still entertaining near the end imo. Enjoy!

Chapter 5

The next morning, after getting ready for class, I headed out of the dorm. As I was leaving, I saw a familiar face waiting by the fountain.

"Good morning," Noah greeted.

"Morning," I replied as I approached him.

"I'm not trying to be evasive, I just thought you'd appreciate accompaniment to class so you're not alone," he informed me quickly.

I laughed, "Its fine. I appreciate it," I assured him.

"Shall we?" He inquired as he motioned forward, and I began to walk.

We talked about more of our favorite novels as we walked. Noah was really nice, and I was very grateful for that.

After class, we went to the cafeteria for lunch with the other four.

"So, what do you guys like to do?" I inquired as we ate.

"Well, Melina, Jacob and I are on the physics team, so we spend a lot our time doing that," Annie informed me, and I nodded.

"I play cello sometimes, nothing too special," Kevin noted with a shrug.

"Oh please. You play cello, perfectly, and you beatbox, and you can speak Chinese, and you're probably the smartest person I know," Melina ranted.

Kevin laughed sheepishly, "I don't like to brag," he commented.

"You should," Jacob assured him.

"That's so cool. I wish I could play an instrument," I stated sadly.

"You said you sing. Isn't your voice your instrument?" Noah inquired.

I shrugged, "True," I replied.

"We totally wanna hear you sing," Annie informed me excitedly.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Right now?" I asked awkwardly.

"No, silly, some other time," Melina assured me.

I sighed in relief, "Ohh."

"Mel, people hate being called Silly," Jacob chided.

"They do not," Melina protested as she nudged him.

I was so busy focusing on them, that I barely noticed Noah and Annie having a silent argument through facial expressions. Once they caught me looking, they cleared their throats awkwardly.

"So Mitch...you're intelligent, and attractive...do you have a special someone back at home?" Annie inquired, and Noah gave her an annoyed look.

I smiled at the thought of Scott, "Yeah. His name is Scott," I replied.

"Why isn't here at Stanford? Surely you'd date someone with a similar intellect," Noah pointed out.

I poked at my food awkwardly, "Actually...he's going to USC," I stated slowly.

I wasn't the least bit surprised when they snickered and didn't even try to hide their laughter. If I had never gotten that detention, I still would've been pretentious and made fun of USC nonstop.

"USC?" Jacob parroted as if it were the funniest thing on the planet.

"Yeah, but he's fairly smart. He got a 27 on the ACT, and he has a 3.6 GPA," I assured them, feeling slightly offended.

"Does he know anything about good literature or science?" Annie asked.

I cleared my throat awkwardly and went back to poking at my food. "He's funny and sweet," I tried.