Ch 10

~~~~~~~~~~~
"Angie," he asked. "Are you okay?"
I nodded. "Of course, Dad. Why wouldn't I be? I'm coming to see you... in real life!"
He got up from the ratty, old couch he'd been laying on. "That's a bad idea. I hurt you a couple days ago. I could hurt you again."
I raised my shoulders. "You've changed. I know you won't hurt me. You said you're dying. And when I get here for real, I can try to save you."
"And if you can't?"
"If I can't? Well, no one deserves to die alone, not even an old drunk like you!"
He laughed. Lately, crude humor's the only thing keeping him alive. His laugh turned into a cough and soon, he was crouched down and wheezing.
I placed my hand on his shoulder. I knew he couldn't exactly feel my touch but he was aware I was there, and trying to comfort him.
~~~~~~~~
"Angela, wake up."
I opened my eyes. "Hmm?"
I looked tiredly up at Ryan who was holding the steering wheel.
He glanced at me. "Check it out, Ang! We're in D.C."
I sat up and looked out the front window. We were driving over the Wildrow Wilson bridge.
I smiled. We were really on our way closer to my father.
Late last night, Ryan and I switched out in Pennsylvania so I could get some sleep to tell my father that we were coming.
"So how'd he take it?"
I knew who he was talking about.
"He took it well. He's still doubting who I really am though."
Ryan didn't look phased. "Makes sense. I might doubt it if a person came to me as a ghost claiming to be my daughter."
I rolled my eyes. "There's a huge difference between you two though. You don't drink. And you don't have a daughter."
He rolled his eyes this time. "You know what I mean."
AIDEN'S POV:
"I understand Janet. I'm bewildered as well. If you hear from Ryan, let me know. I'll call you if I hear from Angela."
I watched from the living room as my mother hung up the phone and covered her face with her hands.
"Mom," I asked. "Why didn't Angie come home last night?"
She removed her hands from her face and sighed. "I don't know, Aiden."
"Oh," I said looking at the ground. "It's just, this reminds me of how you ran away from Miami when you had Angie."
Her eyes bolted open. "Oh no."
"What?"
She ran out of the room yelling Kira's name.
"Mom," I raised my voice. "What is it?"
She turned back to look at me. "I ran away because it was important to me to keep Angie a secret for the time being. What's important to Angie?"
I thought. "Well, Ryan's important to her. Oh, and she's been having dreams of dad so I guess he's important to her too!"
My eyes grew wide. "Oh no."
She nodded. "Exactly! Get in the car! We're going to Miami!"