Ch 7

ANGIE's POV:

"Just sit down on the couch and rest," Angie said sitting me down. "I'll get you something to eat."

I nodded. "Thank you!"

She started walking towards the kitchen but looked back at me. "When I get back, I expect some answers."

With that, she turned back towards the kitchen.

I removed my phone from my back pocket and looked at the time. 11:45.

I went onto my messages and into Ryan and I's conversation.

Clicking the type box, the keyboard showed up.

"Hey Ryan," I started to type. "Couldn't make it to school today. Not feeling well. Sorry about--"

Ding-Dong.

I stopped typing and placed my phone down on the couch.

I stood up and walked over to the door.

When another ding-dong sounded, I opened the door to see Ryan standing on my front porch.

My eyes popped open. "Oh hey," I said excitedly. "I was just about to send you a text."

He took a step in. "Oh, well you can just say what you wanna say now since I'm here."

Crinkling my eyebrows confused, I asked, "Why are you here instead I school?"

He shrugged. "One hour lunch break. When I saw you weren't in second period, I guessed you stayed home cause of yesterday."

I nodded. "Well, you were right. I did."

He sighed and walked further into the living room and sat himself down on the couch next to my phone. "How was last night?" He asked nervously.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't have another black eye, do I?"

He studied my face. "No, but there are bags under your eyes. My guess is you didn't sleep at all."

I sat next to Ryan and a snicker left my mouth. "I tried so hard not to but it got too late and I got too tired so I dozed off and..."

I trailed off thinking about what really happened.

"And...?" Ryan encouraged me to continue.

"And he didn't hurt me. Instead, we talked until Angie woke me up and ended the best dream in a while."

Ryan raised his eyebrows. "You guys talked? That's a good thing, right?"

I shrugged. "I guess so. But..."

"But what?"

"But... My dad said that he could feel it in his veins that he was dying. He seemed better but it's possible that he was just having a positive relapse and the worst is still to come."

Ryan reached his hand around my back and comfortably held my shoulder. "Everything's going to be alright!"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, please! You're just saying that so I can feel better. Well, it's not working."

He sighed. "Then, what will make you feel better?"

I didn't say anything for a quick moment, scared my answer would frighten him.

I gulped. "I want to see him."

"Who?"

I looked down. "My father. In real life."

Ryan considered his reply. "You're... You're mom wouldn't let you head down to check on him?"

Snickering, I answered. "No way, she wouldn't."

"You can't even ask, see if she might say yes?"

I sighed. "If I did ask, she'd freak out and put Elliot or Kira on strict Angie-watch and I would never be able to escape this place. Unless..."

"Unless... What?"

"Unless, you could bring me there!"

Ryan's face turned frightened. "What?! No way am I helping you get closer to a situation that could harm you!"

"Ugh," I groaned, "I just told you that he was getting better around me!"

"Yeah," he nodded. "And you also told me that he said himself that he was on the verge of dying. I don't want you to experience that."

I laughed nervously. "He's not going to die! Not if I get there on time!"

"Well, I'm sorry, but I can't let you go!"

I stood up and walked towards the door.

"Well, I'm sorry," I said opening the door, "but you're going to have to leave now."

Ryan huffed, "Come on, Angie! Don't be difficult with me!"

My eyebrows climbed Mount Everest. "What? So now, I'm difficult? Next are you gonna say that I'm pathetic and weird?"

"Look," Ryan argued. "I just don't want you to make any mistakes that you'll regret. I just think this decision you're making to go is an accident."

My jaw dropped to the floor and my eyes closed. The word 'accident' always gets to me.

Ryan sighed hopefully regretfully. "Wrong choice of words," he said. "What I mean is--"

"Get out."

He argued. "First, just let me explain-"

"You've explained enough. Now please, just get out."

Ryan looked down. "I'm sorry," he practically whispered before walking out.

I slammed the door and plopped myself back on the couch as a tear rolled down my cheek over that fight, the first fight Ryan and I have ever had during our few years of friendship.

And my mind kept falling back to accident.

I was an accident. And I'm starting to think our friendship was too.

Now, I'm certain I want to leave this place. I need to see my father. I need to save him and the fact that everyone here believes I was never meant to be, just leaves the possibility that my father, sober or drunk, might still believe in me.