S.A.S (Chapter

S.A.S. (Chapter 6)

Just then the door slammed. The soldier grabbed his gun and turned to the door, laser pointer on as well. He glimpsed at me and murmured quietly, “Get behind that wall and wait for my orders” I picked up the Kalashnikov and ran for the wall. I could hear something in the background, but couldn’t yet distinguish what it was. Suddenly ‘Wolf’ yelled out, “This is U.S. Captain Brad Taylor, US Army Special Forces! Come out with your hands up or I will shoot!“ A second later, we heard gunfire, then the door bursts open. We suddenly see someone walk down the stairs. Capt. Taylor yells again in warning, “US Special Forces! Stop Now!”.

 Abruptly, the shadow acknowledges, “US Marines!”

The captain lowers his rifle and stands up, “What the hell happened?”

The Marine starts coughing uncontrollably, and in a raspy voice, explains, “Ahhh, we got fucked up. Tiger Company lost two tanks and fifteen men. My squad ‘Devil’s Nest’ was sent in to clear the building.”

I stood up and questioned, “How many are left in your squad?”

He looked at me- his face covered in blood and scars- and echoed softly, “How many are left in your squad”. He let out a long sigh, his voice resuming its normal tone, “Me… I’m the only one left. The others were ambushed, and either ran into machine gun fire or was cut down by the ambushers…”

I stood up and walked to the broken window. “What rank are you and how did Tiger company make it?

            “Last I saw they were being pinned down badly. “He shuffled wearily to the stairs, and sat himself down, “I’m Sergeant Brewer. You’re right. We were badly pinned down, but we had help from the Navy. They managed to send three fighter jets to give us a boost. After that we were sent in to clear the building, but we underestimated the number of hostiles in this one...”.He stood up once now, and paced towards the captain, “One more thing. Fighting our way down here we stumbled upon documents, something called ‘操作:隐藏风暴’.Seems like mandarin to me. I know it’s not Cyrillic, but I’m not sure what the Chinese would be doing… unless…wait. You don’t think they’re involved do you?”

 The captain’s face twisted slightly in contemplation, debating whether to inform the sergeant of the situation. Eventually, he spoke at the sergeant, “I’ll give you all the Intel when we get out of here. Now, both of you follow me.” I picked up my weapons and started following the captain. I didn’t know where we were heading, and just followed ‘Wolf’ blindly. Captain Taylor walked over to a spot on the floor and suddenly pulled a string up. Without warning, a secret door was uncovered. Captain Taylor looked at us and whistled, “Well lads, let’s not keep our death waiting aye?”

I asked “What the hell!? Why is there an underground passage way in the building?” .The captain gave us a fleeting look and continued walking.

“The reason why there is an underground passageway is simple. Back in the eighteenth century during the time of the Revolutionary War, many colonists thought it best to hide the Governor’s most prized possessions down into a hidden passageway that only few people even knew about. After the Declaration of Independence and the war was over, the passageway became used for special operations especially in the Civil War.”

Sergeant Brewer turned to me and asked “So kid. How and why the hell are you fighting with us?”

I looked at him and countered, “We both bear the same battle scars. I’ve seen friends and comrades die and so have you. I prefer we reach our location before time runs out.”

Raising an eyebrow, he said morosely, “Well then, I suppose you raise a good point.”

It seemed like days before we finally reached the exit. We found a large opening and when we exited, we found ourselves in the middle of a forest. The Captain went up and took out something. He ordered us, “Don’t Move”. He flashed the light, and unexpectedly out of the bushes and trees popped heads and guns.