Chapter 6

(I just want to say a little thank you to anyone that's been reading this- we're nearly at 90 reads and that's far more than I expected! :-) Please continue to follow if you are, I really appreciate this story being read and I hope if you are reading that you enjoy it as much as I enjoy writing it!)

The following morning proved to be more patience-testing than any other Éponine had ever endured. It was filled with silences that made her resort to concentrating more on her food than she would usually, her hair thankfully falling over her face and concealing her from a rather intense pair of eyes.

If there was a measure for how unsettled a person was, they would match each other equally. Enjolras kept to himself throughout the duration of breakfast, his fingers absentmindedly drumming on his knee. He was somewhat distracted, though there was no question as to why; the very reason was sitting a few places across from him with her spoon soundlessly clattering against her bowl. Her face was gently sullen, though she took care to avoid any form of eye contact and mostly kept her head turned in a different direction with her thoughts far away from him. Although this was what Enjolras saw, her head was in an entirely different place. The panic had settled from last night, but it was not preventing the undeniable apprehension that had set in since and whatever she fixed her attention on instead, it did not sway her mind. Éponine was unsettled, and it certainly did not help her case when the very reason was in such close proximity to her, and the fact that she had had such a close encounter the night before. 

~

"Are you settling in well?" 

Éponine smiled at her aunt's question and nodded to answer it. "I am, Madame."

"I am glad to hear it." She said, her fingers adjusting the material sleeve covering her elbow. "How long do you intend to stay?" 

"As long as my parents deem appropriate," Éponine answered, picking up her teacup and taking a sip, her spirits lightened by the company of her aunt. The house was beautiful and she was in good humour, so she was inclined to stay for as long as she was welcome. They were enjoying afternoon tea outside, the weather staying beautiful to allow them to breathe the fresh air whilst they sipped from their cups. Ocassionally their sights were met with Éponine's mother and father taking a stroll around the grounds, yet the particular sight she suspected to appear never showed his face or walked with them. Éponine almost asked but thought better of it, keeping her thoughts to herself as she drained the rest of her tea from her cup. 

"I think I'll walk into town, Aunt." She said, rising from her outside chair and smoothing down her dress. "Is there anything you need?" 

When she dismissed her offers and wished her a pleasant journey, Éponine smiled and passed her parents, her lungs relishing the opportunity to recieve a further helping of fresh oxygen. The little fields and villages passed by, the people in the streets smiling politely and going about their business without paying her too much mind. It was how she prefered it, and walks only made her happier. She was keen on independence and freedom, and with having a sister years younger than herself that delighted in talking hurriedly about dresses and paintings, a walk was normally necessary. Alzelma, instead of accompanying them on their visit to Madame Feralé, had stayed at home with a tutor who was rather taken with her, and she with him. Éponine could guess such things just from looking at the pair, who were clearly chasing each other's affections whilst learning the ways of the world. They painted and danced, and it was as clear as day that this was what brought them together. Alzelma enjoyed both past times, so it was blatent that she would fall for someone who taught her them and relished in them as well. Her tutor, Acel, was but two years older than Éponine's age- his dark hair was tousled and framed his handsome face, whilst his green eyes were happy and light hearted and pleased whoever was near to look at them. It was rather obvious that Alzelma would fall for him, though blatent that he would for her as she matched him in pretty looks, her fair brown waves clasped behind her neck and her fair complexion brightened by compliments thrown her way. Both sisters were beautiful, though Alzelma held a certain youthful quality and Éponine was still as eager and pleasing in anyone's company that she was the source of much attention.