Chapter 7

A/N: Thank you to everyone who's read and voted for these chapters, -really- because that's what keeps me writing :)! Commenting as well always makes me feel more motivated to write an update so thank you if you do leave one :) {InfiniteRockstar} I hope you enjoy the chapter :)!  

The walk to the house had been as panned out as it was possible to be. They walked amongst fields and all the ways Éponine had come from, their footsteps silent as the grass welcomed them to pass by. Their gazes settled on the peaceful atmosphere of the trees whilst they covered the extent of the route and they stayed silent, appreciating the surroundings without word. Enjolras favoured the walk, feeling that it would let the knowledge a day at the University brought to him settle, or at least set in his mind. Éponine at his side, however, proved to be rather thought provoking rather than easing, and after granting her his view on how he had changed seemed to sway the sea rather than calm the waters.

It was true that Éponine was trying to distract herself, though it was also true that when she walked alone she lacked the blatant company beside her. She had crossed a plain of country with accompaniment before, though it was more pleasing and comfortable and in this case, it was everything but relaxing. The tension in the air seemed to grow by every second, and before long Éponine was wondering why Enjolras hadn't taken the carriage she assumed he usually would. Instead of being her escort, he could have been sitting in a satisfactory mode of transport that was not gracing his face with a developing bout of wind. It would make much more sense, but on they walked.

As they were trying to brave what could only be described as a mass flurry of a rippling skirt, jacket and trousers, the hat that had nestled comfortably on Éponine's hair gave it's last goodbye and flew into the gale, leaving behind it a trace of fluttering ribbons and ties. In the moment it fled, she seemed not to notice and carried on with her settled rhythm of walking, her mind failing to notice how the tied secureness of her bonnet had disappeared from underneath her chin.

The hat, however, had crossed the field of vision belonging to the blue eyes that followed it across his path. Enjolras met the owner of the fleeing hat's eyes for a fleeting moment, in which her gaze dropped to the grass and he strode forward and broke what eye contact there might have been.

She was facing the other way, although her eyes moved and met his and the wind started to stir once more, the wind combing her waves with it's fingers. The sight of him standing with her bonnet in his outstretched hand made her contemplate it more than she would otherwise- the sudden breeze ruffled the fair curls and brought her hand forward to accept it with a nod of her head. A notion like that made her exhale quietly, her mind reeling with all manners of thoughts. It was a difficult decision what to think, yet the words never formed on her lips and as before, she kept quiet.

Three quarters of the way home when they were crossing the last part of the stretch of land, Éponine lost her balance on a higher level of unpredictably slick grass and almost fell to the outside floor had it not been for him.

Her foot slipped almost right away yet he held her up, and her gloved hand met his whilst their fingers caught one another's. It would have been a beautiful union to see and it was, although what made it all the more fascinating was that a smile was beginning to form on the lips that usually held no such sentiments towards who it was directed to.

He maintained their silence, though his brows gently raised in retaliation to her stumble and a light colour made it's way into Éponine's cheeks at the directness of his eyes.

"Thank you."

Her hand was still held within his, yet they hardly seemed to notice until Enjolras broke their gaze and, as he pulled away, left a trace against her skin with the softness of his thumb. It was accidental, or so Éponine thought; and it left her with a slight dizziness she could hardly decipher and a mind that reeled even more than it did minutes ago.