Chapter 5 - [The Exes]

I sat in the library with Val and Maria during my spare. Our library was a lovely library, probably the best high school library out there. Funded by the rich parents of the more studious students, this library was big, beatuiful and filled with books.

   That was the thing about this school.

   Victoria Anne High School wasn't a private school or anything like that, but it was the next best thing that our town had to offer, since it didn't have a private school.

   It had the best principle, best teachers, and best facilities. Facilities which included this library, five computer labs, a mechanical shop, a sewing room, four large gymnasiums with all the equipment you could possibly think of, a new and renovated art room and much, much more.

   This was mostly because most, if not all, of the rich kids in our town came here.

   And that was why we had such a large population of popular kids.

   But I guess the rich popular kids are good for some reasons. Their richness means I get an awesome library to study in.

   What type of nerd wouldn't ask for that?

   Maria looked at me over my laptop. "So how's your project going?"

   "Good, I guess." I said, keeping my eyes on the laptop.

   "Is it true that Gale's got a pool in his backyard?"

   "Yes." I said. But this was something I knew since I was a kid.

   "I think all the rich kids have pools in their backyards." Val, who had her head down on the table, said. "Nothing so special about him."

   Maria ignored her. "And is it true that he claps to turn on his lights and stuff?"

   I looked up at Maria, raising my eyebrows. "No, Ria. That is not true."

   She looked a little surprised. "Oh."

   I chuckled as I looked down at my laptop screen. I was looking for a link to an illegal copy of Mama. I couldn't sleep last night not only because I was terrified, but also because I didn't know the ending of the movie.

   "Oh!" Maria exclaimed, making the librarians glare at her and making Valerie lift her head. "I cannot believe I forgot to mention this."

   "What?" I asked, looking at her.

   The first thing I thought she was going to say was that she had a boyfriend.

   She grinned. "You will not believe what I heard."

   "What?" I asked again, a little bit disappointed but trying not to be rude and pretending that I did care about what gossip she had to share.

   She leaned forward in her chair. "So you know how Gale Dallas was dating Ramona for like... six months?"

   I leaned back in my chair, feeling my smile slowly fade as I picked up my pencil and started drawing flowers on the table. "Yup." 

   "Well, apparently, he was actually super serious about her... like, rumor has it that he went out and bought a brand new BMW a few hours before she broke up with him because she was complaining about his old one and how it wasn't comfortable."

   I raised my eyebrows. "Wow."

   "Isn't that so sweet?"

   From the corner of my eye, I could see Valerie watching me. "Yeah, pretty sweet... I mean, Ramona was a serious idiot for leaving him for another guy." I said. "That's pretty... stupid."