Chapter 9: Enough is Never Enough

The clock on the front of the building reads 12:17 A.M. The movie at the theater ends and me, Ponyboy, and Johnny start to leave and head back home. We walk along a metal fence that leads toward the one end of the lot. We're all talking and laughing about how we didn't pay any attention to the movie because we broke out into a popcorn fight. We almost got kicked out because we were being too loud. I never had so fun much before as I did with these guys. I gotta admit, they're real fun to be around. They're both really funny and know how to keep the fun going. On another note, I've been told that at this time of night, it's highly dangerous to be out the house.

"I like how that one old lady sittin' behind us told me that-" Ponyboy says as he starts bursting out into laughter. "-that if I didn't stop throwin' popcorn, she'd slap me with her purse!"

I continue laughing with Johnny and Pony as I try to say, "But you did get slapped with her purse!"

Ponyboy stops laughing for a quick second and his face becomes serious. "Oh yea...". We all burst out laughing, including Ponyboy again. Tonight was pretty good. One of the best times I've had in my life so far.

Johnny starts to walk into the park and I stop walking as I look at Ponyboy questionably. "Where are you goin', Johnny?" He says nothing to me. "Shouldn't we be gettin' home? It's really late."

"I'm stayin' here for the night, Crys."

My eyes widen the second he says that. "Um, no you're not. Especially not by yourself."

Johnnycake sits on the ground, leaned up against a tree log and tells me, "I'll be fine, don't worry. My folks don't want me at home, so I just sleep here. Just go ahead on home with Pony."

"He's fine, Crys. Really," Pony tries to reassure me in my anxiety. "We'll go home, come back tomorrow and Johnny wil-"

"No," I somewhat angrily cut him off with. "I'm not leavin' Johnnycake out here by himself. I don't care if he always does this. I'm only knowin' about this now. So I'm stayin' here with him." I walk over to Johnny and lay down against the log right by his side.

Ponyboy slowly walks up to us, kinda sad. "You sure about this?" I nod my head yes to him as I try to keep myself warm from the night's chilly air. "Okay... I'll come down here tomorrow morning as soon as I get up. But if you two wanna settle at my place tonight, go right ahead."

"Thanks, man," Johnny tells him. "Goodnight." And with that, Ponyboy walks away. "You didn't have to stay with me, y'know. You should've gone home with Ponyboy."

I looked at him with an expression of seriousness. "Well that's too bad. I wanted to stay here with you. I'm wasn't gonna leave you out here by yourself. I know I kinda upset him, but I chose to stay here with my best friend and I don't regret it." A small smirk spread across his face. "Damn, it's cold," I say as I start to shiver uncontrollably. The air was nippy, making all of the hairs on my arms and neck rise.

Johnnycake takes off his jacket and puts it out in front of me as an offering. "Here," he tells me in a hushed voice. "It'll keep ya warm. Hopefully." I look at him in a way that basically says What about you? and he knew exactly that's what I was thinking. "Nah, don't even worry 'bout me. You need it more than I do." I take his jacket and put it on, with the help of Johnnycake. Then he lays back again on the log and invites me to lay of his chest. Smiling like a dork, I lay back. He wraps his arms around pulling me closer for warmth. "Y'know," he starts, "I've never had someone stay for me before. I've never had someone care so much for me like you do."