Chapter 34

Hayley's pov

We get to the police station, and Maddison's in the hospital. A police officer takes me to an empty white room. He asks me to sit down, and calls for someone. Another police officer comes in and shuts the door behind her.

"What's your name?" She asks
"I'm Hayley."
"Why were you at Maddison's house? What were you doing?"
"Well, I met Maddie a couple weeks ago. The principal at school was asking if I knew where she was. I felt kind of weird about it because she wasn't answering my texts. So I decided I would go to her house.

Once I got there it was kind of late and there was only one light open. I didn't know it was her until I saw through the window. She was crying... Then this woman came in, I hid behind a tree so she wouldn't see me. She hurt Maddie, I then figured out what was happening. That woman was starving Maddie, she locked her in a basement without water. I kept asking her to leave. Eventually she agreed but once we got out of the basement, a car pulled up. It was her brother I think. She wanted to stay. I gave her my phone and my emergency phone number. She called me a while later and asked if I could come get her. I did and once we came out, you were there."

"Okay well we need to contact your parents."
I pause trying to think of what to tell them.
"I... Actually you can't do that." I say

"Why?"
"Because I ran away." I whisper

Jane's pov

"You are Maddison's adoptive mother, have you been staying in the house? How often do you leave?" A police officer asks. "I am. I don't leave very often. Why is that important?" I ask annoyed
"It's important because Maddison has still not woken up. She is very dehydrated. She has been locked up in the basement. Did you know that this was happening?"
"I don't know. She likes to be left alone. She wanted to be in the basement so I let her. It's really hard to communicate with Maddison. She's always swearing. I'm just trying to keep myself and my family out of danger." Wow I'm so proud of that. I internally smile. If they take my side, and release me I'll show Maddie what will happen to her next time.

A few weeks later

Hayley's pov

I sit down in the chair next to Maddie. It's been almost a month and she still hasn't woken up.

After the police station, the police couldn't decide on who's story to believe so they're waiting on Maddie. They didn't believe me, I guess that's because everyone has a different story. If she doesn't wake up, they'll release everyone.

The police also got in contact with my mother. I've been staying with her. She started to be more understanding, and she's standing right by my side.

Demi introduced me to Eva, Maddie's sister. She's trying to get a job and she is trying to get Maddie and her brother back. I've seen her brother come here a few times but we never talk.

Maddison's pov

I walk into school. All the hallways are empty even though I'm not late. I start walking to my locker, but I trip. I try to stand up but someone pushes me down. Amanda. She kicks my stomach, which hurts a lot because of the bruising Jane had done. "Stop!" I scream but she won't "please!" She stops and laughs. I get up and she runs behind me. I keep running further and the hallway never seems to end. I look back but I don't see anyone. I stop and look forward, facing Amanda. She pushes me then starts punching me. "GET OFF!" I shout "Why are you doing this?" She ignores me and continues. I get up and run again. I run so much, and everything starts hurting. I try to find somewhere I can go but the hallways is too long. I run and run.

I jump up into a different room. I'm not in the hallway or school. I'm in a hospital bed. What happened?

A/N I hope you like this chapter. Please vote and comment what you think. Your feedback is very important to me. Thank you! Ily stay strong
~N