Chapter 4

Violet looked at the small box in confusion. She slowly opened it and I saw her eyes go wide with realization.

               "Was he going to..." Violet stuttered "Quigley, did you know?" Quigley shrugged and dropped his head so low, it nearly went into his cake. I swallowed hard, and I couldn't help but feel bad for Duncan.

                What if I had confronted Quigley as soon as I knew what was going on? I asked myself. I don't know why, but I suddenly felt guilty, and excused myself from the room. I got up from the couch and headed up the flight of stairs to my room. Once I was in it, I shut the door and flopped down onto my bed. I grabbed my stuffed dog, Ollie, and slowly began to twist and tug at the fur. Over the years, he had begun losing his hair, and was now somewhat threadbare. Violet and Klaus insisted that was the way he was found, which I'm now guessing was somewhere on an island.

               I soon heard a knock on my door, and when I didn't reply the person came into my room. It was Klaus.

               "When you left the room, Duncan told you," he said to me, sitting on my bed "Didn't he?"

               "Yes, I followed Duncan when he left the room," I admitted. Klaus sighed and began pulling at a loose thread on my blanket.

               "How's Violet?" I asked sincerely. Klaus gave me a small smile and patted my back.

               "She's interrogating Quigley right now," he said with a grim laugh "Apparently she could see right through his lies. Be careful." I returned the smile and put down my stuffed dog.

               "Can you get Sunny for me?" I asked him softly, my gaze focused on the floor. Klaus nodded and I heard his footsteps retreat from the door, but suddenly stop.

               "You know you have nothing to feel bad about," he said in a choked whisper "It had nothing to do with you." I cast a suspicious look at him, but he just left with his head down and his hands in his pockets. I didn't have time to think about it though, because Sunny entered my room.

                "Hey Beatrice!" she said happily.

               "Hey Sunny," I said, less gleefully "Thanks for telling me about my mom." She nodded and gave me a half smile.

               "I feel bad about Violet," I told her "And Duncan." Sunny nodded and sat down on my bed with me.

               "We could go check on her if you'd like," she said. I nodded, happier now that I knew Sunny was interested in spying, and we slowly made our way down the stairs. Maybe it wasn't my fault after all.

               "So you did know Duncan was going to ask me?!" yelled Violet "And he even told you before you decided to ask me?!?"

                "Yes Violet, but you don't understand..." said Quigley innocently.

                "No, you don't understand! You are a jerk Quigley Quagmire!" Violet screamed "We will not get married!!!"