Siblings

Sophia

"Queen Layla?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yes. Come, I'll show you. She lives in the Temple of Tigers."

We travel to the Temple of Tigers, where giant statues and altars are erected. In the center of the Temple, there is an enormous zculpture of a winter tiger entitled:

JAKOB, THE FIRST WINTER TIGER

"Oh my god." I say. "You worship the ice beasts?!"

"We prefer 'winter tigers.' " Thomas says.

"To hell with what they're called!" I say. "You're nothing but a cult!"

Thomas's eyes narrow. "Yes, well, I'd prefer not to speak of our faith. The infirmary is this way."

We are led to a sterile white room. On a bed lies a hauntingly beautiful woman. Flowing locks of white hair lie around her head. Bright blue eyes stare into oblivion. Her skin is so pale it's almost transparent.

"This is Queen Layla, the white tiger. She was poisoned yesterday. It's a slow-acting poison, but the only way to heal her is with the gems." Thomas says. "So you see, this is a mission of mercy."

"You could've just asked, Will." I say quietly.

"I couldn't risk it." He says. "If I didn't use force, how quickly would you have responded?"

I don't answer, so Trevor takes the initiative. "We'll leave first thing tomorrow morning."

***

I never thought I'd see my father again, even if it was only a dream. Nevertheless, there he was, alive and healthy again, not bound to his room by a sick bed.

"Dad," I say, running up and hugging him.

"Hello, Sophia," He says, smiling warmly at me. "I wish I had come just to see you, but alas, I haven't."

"What did you come for?" I ask.

"I came to warn you, my daughter. Very soon, you will discover something that will shatter your past. Travelers from another world have crossed to our country. Go back to Volglacia. You will discover a friend, and one of the pieces you need on your quest."

The dream starts to fade out.

"Wait, dad. What kind of friend?"

"Your sister."

***

I'm up before everyone else, preparing for the trip home.

"So...Sophia?" Trevor says, rubbing his eyes. "You're up?"

"Yep, and we're leaving in ten minutes," I say, throwing a clean shirt at him. "So put a shirt on."

Jake, Trevor, and I are out of Frozotia Castle and on the road by seven in the morning.

"What's your rush?" Trevor asks. "And aren't we going the wrong way?"

"We're going back to Volglacia." I say.

"Why? What are we looking for?"

"If my dream are correct, a gem and my sister." I say.

"Your sister? Since when do you have a sister?"

"I have no idea." I say. "All I know is that she's around a year younger than me, and has blonde hair and blue eyes."

"Hmm, Jake let's keep an eye out." Trevor says.

We reach Volglacia City in the late afternoon.

"Sophia." Trevor says.

"What?"

"Your mark...it's glowing."

I look down at my mark as I walk. It seems to glow brighter and brighter. I crash into someone.

"Oh, sorry..." I mutter. "I wasn't looking where I was..." I stop. My mark has stopped glowing. I raise my gaze upwards to see what has happened.

"Um, hi? We're new here." The girl says.

"Ashley?" I ask. It was so long ago, but a distant memory is resurfacing. My mother and father said they were going to have a baby. They were going to name her Ashley. "You're my..." I start.

"Little sister..." She finishes, and we hug each other. I laugh in spite of myself.

"How did you get here?" I ask.

"Well, we crashed a plane..." She starts.

"Oh, well, no worries. Let me introduce everyone. I'm Sophia Asgravard and this..." I say, gesturing to Trevor. "Is my husband Trevor. And our friend, Jake Thompson."

"Pleasure to meet you." Jake says.

Ashley pushes a strand of hair behind her ear nervously. "Uh, yeah. Well, I'm Ashley Johnson and this is Jason Black, my boyfriend." Jason winks at us.

"Um, well, I hate to cut the party short... but uh, we're on a quest and I believe your necklace is one of the pieces.

"Oh." She says, taking it off. "You can have it. Nothing but bad memories with that anyway."

I put the necklace in my pack with the gem of fire.

"Well come on. We're going back to our apartment to get some backpacks. It's a long journey ahead.

***

We arrive at our apartment and show Ashley and Jason around.

"I'll go grab some extra backpacks." Trevor says.

"Sweet place." Jason says. "Cozy."

"Well, we've been gone for a while." I say. "We had to help out some friends in Pyrobia."

Trevor comes back. "Heads up!" He says, tossing backpacks to Ashley and Jason. "They're filled with safety gear and first aid."

"We're going across almost all the countries of Elementas so it's going to be a long trip." I say.

"What exactly are we doing this for?" Ashley asks.

"The Cryosians kidnapped our friends. Amelia, Katrina, and her father, the Supreme Commander." I explain.

"But how is that your responsibility? Don't you have a Leader who takes care of your problems?"

"The Supreme Commander is our leader." I say. "But becuase he's not here, I take over."

"Why?"

"Because I am the ruling princess of Volglacia."

"Volglacia?"

This was going to be a long day.