Reform

Sophia

"Ash..." Jason mutters in his sleep. "Ashley..."

"Why do I get the feeling that Thomas wanted us to win?" I ask Trevor, who was standing right beside me.

I turn, and see that he's already gone to bed. "Oh." I say.

"Because he did," I hear a voice say from behind me. "No way that a ruler as powerful as him lets himself get caught that easily."

The glow of an open door fills the hall with an eerie yellow light.

I turn slowly and see him. The one who betrayed me, the girl who loved him, and all his friends.

William.

"What makes you think you can even talk to me?" I ask.

"Sophia, I-"

"Don't, Will. I can't believe you would betray everyone who means even a shred to you for that... that monster." I say, hate flaring up in my eyes. "And what about Amelia, Will? I thought you loved her..."

"I do! Sophia, god, I still do... so much..." He says, his eyes welling up with tears.

I looked into his eyes, and saw the same thing I had seen only glimpses of before: compassion, genuine regret, and sadness... so much sadness...

I sigh. "I want to forgive you Will, I really do..." I say. "It's just... I don't even know who to trust anymore..."

He looks down. "I understand..."

I give him a small smile. "It just takes time for this stuff to heal. Amelia really misses you... A lot... You should try to reconcile with her... I think she'll be more forgiving than I am..."

He smiles too. "Thanks a lot, sis."

He hugs me, and I feel repulsed at first, but soon realize his once cold and unapproachable presence has been stripped away, and what's left is the warm, joking guy I grew up with.

"I love you, brother..." I say. "I really do."

***

The next day is like a blessing. Another restless night filled with tormenting dreams... it was a relief to wake up.

"Well, Trev, I guess today you guys try to find out what Thomas is hiding." I pause. "Are you sure we locked him up with maximum security?"

Trevor laughs. "Yes, Sophia, the best security money can buy..."

"Which is?" I ask.

"Our dragons and a cigar-deprived Butch." He says with a smirk.

"Oh." I say. "God save the soul of the man who ticks off Butch..."

Levi walks into the room. "I'm invited, right?"

I narrow my eyes. "You were eavesdropping on us, weren't you?"

"Maybe..." He says, looking to the left.

"Yeah, you were." Trevor says. "Of course you're invited. Butch wants to meet you. Another assassin on board and such..."

"Yeah, I'd guess he's not a guy with a whole lot of friends, huh?" Levi says, looking down. "I know what that's like."

Smoke materializes behind him, putting his smoky hands on Levi's shoulders.

"You got me, dude!" Smoke says. "I got your back!"

"Dude, enough with the bad puns..." Levi says. "And yeah, I know you do." He winks at him, and Smoke disappears again.