Chapter Six

Matthew

"What!?" Both Gale and Victoria lean forward in their chairs, polite demeanors completely erased amid shock. I force myself to sit still, but inside my heart beats impossibly fast. What is she thinking? Has she gone completely mad?
"Listen to me!" Enna says above the outcries. "I know that we're being led there. Just like I was led to the Base in the first place."
"Yeah, where we almost died!" Victoria exclaims. I watch as Enna's face grows red with impatience.
"I get it if you don't understand. But... There's this Voice that leads me." The room grows silent again and dread slithers down my spine. I bet that, at this very moment, Gale and Victoria are wondering how best to cure an insane person.
"Enna..." Gale starts fearfully.
"I know you think I'm crazy, and I don't blame you. But it's true. It's how I was led to the hotel in the first place, how I got through my testing..." I watch the unstable vigor behind her eyes as she wildly fishes around for some kind of justification. For the first time since her entry, Enna fixes her gaze on me. "Just ask Matthew. It's happened to him, too." I feel my face turning pale as everyone's attention turns towards me.
"How have you never told me about this?" My mother demands, eyes flaming. I swallow and summon all of my courage.
"It only happened once," I explain. "When I almost died... It's not a big deal!"
"Not a..." Victoria glances at Enna, then at me, then back at Enna. She shakes her head. "Do you suggest we head back to New York as well, then?"
"If there's a chance we will survive, then yes." I don't necessarily want to head back to my old home, where so many things had gone wrong, where people are imprisoned and controlled. But something does seem right about it. "John's dead, and the city is on the verge of being bombed. We've heard that much from Gale. If there's a chance we can save some people, then I guess it's worth it."
"Makes sense," Gale mumbles, her voice slurring together in certain places. I get the faint impression that she's drinking alcohol, one of the most expensive commodities on the market. If you're not part of the government, you've never tried it. Victoria stands, heat radiating from her bright eyes as she scans each of us.
"I guess it's settled," she says, voice coolly calm. "Tell your Voices that we leave tomorrow morning." She storms through the double doors. They make a deafening sound when they swing shut.
"That was... weird," Gale mutters. She stands and stumbles over to the door, yanking it open. "I'm going to... sleep now." She leaves Enna and I alone in the cockpit. Dull lamps provide our light, along with the glare of the full moon. I glance at her and notice that she's crying quietly. Pity swims in my stomach.
"Don't pay attention to them," I say. "They're just scared."
"I don't blame them," she replies, wiping her cheeks. I suddenly can't stand the distance between us and I stand up, walking over to her and sitting on the couch.
"I don't know what's going on with you," I start, trying to sound as gentle as possible. "But I'd really appreciate it if you told me." Enna shrugs, denial present in every slight movement.
"It's nothing." Her eyes lift to my face, focusing on my nose. She lifts her hand and runs her fingertips over the uneven bone. The feel of her soft skin sends electricity rocketing down my sides and I grab her waist with one hand, cradling her head with the other. Her hair cascades over my fingers. She's impossibly beautiful; I almost feel like she'll drift away if I dare to close my eyes.
"You were thinking about Mark," I whisper, a small dose of self-consciousness rising when I think about the RScreen scars on my body. "You thought I was trying to keep you from saving him."
Enna drops her eyes to my wrist, nodding and swallowing. I absently stare out the window at the dark silhouettes of ocean waves. It would be nice to stay here for a while... Enna twists and curls up against me, resting her head on my sternum. I gasp a little, taken slightly by surprise. Her gentle breaths burst against my skin, and I rope my arms around her. I think about all of the obstacles fighting to tear us apart from each other, to keep us from caring or loving. But the thought of those obstacles succeeding almost makes a laugh rise from my throat.
"You're so warm," she mutters, eyes closing in exhaustion. I smile a little, though I know she can't see it. Feeling content for the first time today, I lie my head back and fall asleep in moments.