Chapter Twenty Six

Enna

People gazed at us like we were aliens when we exited the Computer Room. It took several reassuring comments from Danny to get them off of our backs. Now, I slump against our wooden dinner table, next to Leah and in front of Oscar. In my nervous state, I ate far more than necessary.
    "I never thought we'd find ourselves on another mission together," Leah says thoughtfully, her lips turning upwards in a sad smile.
    "I can't believe I got myself into this," I mutter, flicking around a lonely pea with my fork.
    "Everyone had their own choice," Oscar points out. "It'd be one thing if you forced us to come along."
    "That's the thing though. I wasn't even planning that there'd be a place to 'come along' to. Maybe Jackson's right and I'm acting too rashly." Maybe Matthew's right, too, I add in my head. I wish he'd stop being so closed off, especially now when I need the support more than ever. He'd gone off with Victoria to eat dinner, completely ignoring the glances and gazes I tacitly sent his way. Boy, could I use Father's reassurances right about now...
    "Stop worrying about Matthew," Leah huffs, stuffing a spoonful of soup into her mouth. She talks around her dinner. "He'll come around. You can't blame him for being worried about you. For all we know, you could be Luke-bait right now." My face reddens. Am I that easy to read?
    "May I point out that you were once Luke-bait?" Oscar says pointedly. He acts like he's joking, but something tells me that this is a sore subject between the couple. Leah pales slightly but continues eating her food, ignoring the comment.
    "I'm proud of you for standing up like that. Jackson can be a real jerk." I find myself nodding along in agreement and Leah chuckles.
    "No, I think he's a pretty swell guy," Oscar says, eyes wide and genuine. "Once you get past his face." A smile cracks my lips and Leah rolls her eyes. She and Oscar are obviously trying to lighten up the mood, and I'm glad to find that their efforts are paying off. He bangs a fist down on the table.
    "Don't even get me started about Luke..."

* * *

    I shiver. Goosebumps rise on my pale skin as I reach around in the dark for blankets. There are only two: one for me and one for Matthew. He hadn't come to bed yet, so my fingers find both of them. I drag mine over onto my body and curl up tightly underneath it. It does nothing to prevent the evening chill from penetrating my skin. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm embarking on another adventure that could lead to death, or even worse: lead my friends to death. When Luke had confronted me earlier, fear hadn't occurred to me as an option. Just action. But now, with time to think about the looming day, hundreds of scenarios swim around my consciousness, vying for my attention. Each new possibility brings a fresh, new wave of uncertainty.
    Was it really my place to suggest traveling down the East Coast? Maybe someone more qualified should have volunteered, not just a teenaged girl and her miscellaneous band of rebel comrades. I shiver again, my teeth trembling against each other from the cold. Just sleep. Each day has its own worries. I build a wall around my mind and focus on the sounds and sensations of the night. Hundreds of sleeping people breathe in discordant harmony. A cool wind rages outside the brick walls, sneaking in through cracks and crevices. At last, when I finally begin to drift off and leave the world behind, I sense a soft blanket being laid over my cold skin.

* * *

    "I call these Jewels," Danny grunts, handing each of us a napkin that supports a pair of minuscule, transparent rubber discs. They sparkle and glow under the rays of light that sneak in through the roof of the shelter, like tiny diamonds. Our party had convened in the Computer Room just as Danny instructed us. Though I would have liked to sleep in longer, getting started right away this morning kept my mind from dwelling too much on worrying subjects.
    "What are they?" Becca asks. Danny swallows hard before answering.
    "These act as invisible earphones. Only you will know of their existence because they are unseeable with the naked eye, especially when placed in your ear. A network connects each of your devices to my own so we can converse, and so you can converse with each other."
    "Who-o-oa! Sweet!" Oscar sticks the Jewels in his ears and starts talking. Nothing happens.
    "I haven't told you how to use them yet," Danny mutters, casting an annoyed glance at Oscar. He lowers his eyes apologetically. Danny turns sideways so we can clearly see his ear. "Place the headphones in as far as you can, but make sure you can still reach them. To activate your own, tap your finger on it. Just one of the pair will do. They recognize the first fingerprints they touch, and will only turn on for that person. Tap one of the Jewels again to deactivate them."
    "What if only two or three people are trying to have a conversation?" Matthew asks, carefully placing the Jewels in his own ears.
    "You say a specific person's name right after activating the Jewel, or a group of people. When you guys are attempting to contact me, I'd prefer to hear from Enna." Danny nods at Matthew then looks to me.
    "Hold on!" Jackson complains. "When did she become the leader? Who's decision was that?"
    "Mine. Just now," Danny says flatly. Jackson narrows his eyes at me and I shrug, trying not to let a cocky smile slip onto my face. "Let's test them out." Once everyone's headphones are secured in their ears, Danny commands us to grow silent.
    "Can you hear me?" He asks after tapping the small disc in his right ear. His voice vibrates inside my head, as if he were speaking right into my ears. Everyone exclaims in pleasure, surprised by how well the Jewels work. Danny turns off his pair and nods, pleased.
    "Now you know how they work. You feel them as much as hear them, so even if something is happening nearby you'll still know that someone's trying to communicate."
    "Why don't each of us take turns speaking, just to make sure our individual headphones work?" Becca says. It's the most she's spoken today, and everyone looks at her with undisguised surprise.
    "Good idea," Danny replies, slightly raising his eyebrows. We start around the circle, each muttering a single word or phrase. Each person's voice vibrates strongly in my head. Oscar finishes us off with, "Potato." Danny stands and fixes each of us with a level state.
    "You're ready. Start dispersing the supplies I left outside and head towards the exit." Danny dismisses everyone and they quickly file out of the Computer Room. When I'm just about to step out the door, he takes my arm and holds me back. "Just one more word, Enna."
    "Okay." I wait patiently until he organizes his thoughts. It takes several moments.
    "I know that I can't leave everyone here, but I'm really worried about Becca going along. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I can't shake the feeling that she's too young to handle it." He sighs and turns his head away from me. I wonder if tears are collecting in his eyes. "I need you to promise me that--"
    "--I'll keep her safe no matter what? That nothing will happen to her?" I shake my head and purse my lips. "No one can promise that. But, if it helps, one of the most brave people I've ever known was a ten-year-old girl." Danny continues to stare at the wall opposite me. I lay a hand on his shoulder, which is tense from carrying such a heavy burden.
    "I will do all I can," I whisper finally. He finally looks at me, managing a grateful smile.
    "Elliot's right," he says quietly, staring intently into my eyes. I start to feel a little uncomfortable in the small, empty space. "You're nothing like the robot they make you out to be in the media."
    "Let's hope not," I mutter.