Chapter Thirty Four

Enna

Becca nudges me awake. A spot of moisture stains my arm where I'd been laying my head. Leah speaks in quiet tones to Oscar, who has finally managed to cling to consciousness. Matthew pokes his head outside the train car door, squatting so as not to lose his balance.
    "Where are we?" I croak, propping myself up on an elbow.
    "Almost there." Matthew closes the train car doors and strides over to me. His eyes are surrounded by dark, sunken circles. I guess I wasn't the only one to have a sleepless night. He nods his head in Oscar's direction and I take the cue, shakily getting to me feet. Leah offers a tight-lipped smile when I kneel beside her.
    "How do you feel?" I ask, gingerly taking Oscar's hand. He leans his head back against the wall, face pale. Moisture clouds his gaze and he nods tersely in reply. My heart breaks for my friend, whom I've never seen so miserable. Oscar is always the one to diffuse tense situations, never the cause of them. I swallow and look to Leah. She doesn't quite meet my eyes.
    "He's doing okay. The pain's intense, but we'll find someone to help him, right?" Her tone is pathetic and pleading, and I can't bear to say anything less than what she wants to hear.
    "Of course we will." I glance over at Oscar, who grinds his teeth with discomfort. I hope that I'm not lying to my friend.

* * *

    The train slows to a halt fifteen minutes later, and we all stand. Matthew helps to support Oscar, who groans and splutters with the effort of moving his leg. I find myself chewing through the inside of my cheek at the sound of his agony. Matthew peers through the cracked, sliding door, peering into the street. Harsh daylight streams into the car, and suddenly he draws backwards.
    "What?" I whisper.
    "Guards are unloading the car to our left," he hisses. "We leave now or never." I glance around at my friends. They watch me expectantly, and I take a deep breath.
    "Follow me." Sliding open the train car door, I peer around the side. A pair of legs hangs out of the adjacent car, and I hurriedly drop onto the coarse pebbles underfoot. The only spot offering any cover is behind a squat brick building. Hoping that my friends can follow me to safety, I sprint through the train yard and press my back against the brick wall. The guard gathering supplies is kept busy while Matthew, Oscar, Becca, and Leah make there way towards me. I don't stop holding my breath until they're safely by my side.
    "We need a plan, and quick," Matthew says. Beside him, Oscar moans pathetically, starting to sink back into unconsciousness.
    "Sweetie?" Leah whispers, tapping his face.
    "Alright, this way," I mutter, making a snap decision. I exit the fenced-off train yard and start towards the nearest sign of civilization: a small, boarded up restaurant. One side of the building forms an alley, and I lead us into the small area. Oscar breathes rapidly and Matthew grimaces, tightening his hold on Oscar's shoulders.
    "We have to find the Resistance," Leah splutters. "There's no way he'll make it out here!"
    "Let me talk to Danny," I reply, stalking back into the shadows of the alley. I find myself growing more and more thankful for the Jewels. After wiping my hands on my pants, I reach up and press a finger to one of my communication devices. It doesn't take long for Danny's voice to buzz through the headphones.
    "What's up?"
    "We just arrived in Atlanta, but we've got a problem. Oscar's hurt. He got shot," I say, rushing my words. "He doesn't have long--"
    "Calm down, Enna, calm down," he urges. Suddenly all of the strength leaves my body and I slump against the wall. My face screws up; tears start to fall over my cheeks. What kind of a leader am I? I hardly have any idea what to do myself, let alone all of the others!
    "Enna, stop crying," he says gently. I hear a metallic, slicing sound on Danny's end.
    "What was that?" I ask, pulling myself together.
    "We just sent out a crew to see what things we could salvage in the city. They hit the jackpot."
    "What did they find?" I question, slightly embarrassed for breaking down.
    "Helicopters. Back-up helicopters. A whole yard of them." My heart stops for a split second.
    "Can you use them?" Danny chuckles, and it bounces through my head.
    "We're figuring out how to fly them at the moment, but I'd say tomorrow at the latest they will be fully operational." I almost start crying again in relief.
    "You'll be able to come get us then, right? You'll be able to help Oscar?"
    "That's the plan," Danny says. "I'll call you later, when we finally figure out how to work them, alright? Stay safe." I briefly hear another screech in the background, just as Danny hangs up. A spark of hope burns in my chest; at least we have something to hope for while we search for a resistance. At least we have a path. I wipe the stray tears from my face and rejoin my friends.
    "We need to get indoors somewhere," Becca says, matter-of-fact. "It won't take long for us to be spotted." I nod, agreeing with the little girl.
    "Come on." I open one of the back doors to the restaurant. It leads us into the kitchen, which is easily the filthiest room I've ever stepped foot in. Dried stains of meat decorate the walls, and hardened puddles of grease and spoiled juices connect underfoot like some sort of junk food grid.
    "I'm going to vomit," Leah complains, hiding her face under her shirt collar. But she knows more than any of us how crucial it is that Oscar remains comfortable. Holding our breath, we trek through the abandoned kitchen and enter the dining room.
    "Much better," Matthew breathes, setting Oscar on a bench beside the table. He twists his weary arms behind his back and we all dump our packs onto the floor, moving around to try the different light switches. As expected, none of them produce any favorable results. I guess we'll have to rely on what little light sneaks in through the shuttered windows.
    Once we mostly have everything under control, we gratefully relieve our aching legs and sit around a dusty table. Leah and I dig through the provisions, producing cans of vegetable soup and bottles of water. Leah helps dribble the drink and soup into Oscar's mouth. Slowly, he starts to awaken.
    "What did Danny have to say?" Matthew asks before guzzling down an entire water bottle. I tell the others about the helicopters that were found, and how they might be used to rescue us. All of their dispositions lighten tremendously at the news.
    "Did you hear that?" Leah nudges Oscar gently, and he manages a weak smile.
    "So now we wait?" Becca asks, draining the last of her soup. I nod somberly.
    "So now we wait."

* * *

    Waiting sucks.