Trust Me

Siblings that say they never fight are most definitely hiding something.

-Lemony Snicket 

____--==***==--____

Japan looked down at his list as he crossed off another name. "So apparently France doesn't know anything... yet." He sighed. He stuffed the already crumpled paper in his pocket. The nature around him was peaceful, with the growing Spring leaves sprouting on the branches, and the clear skies with singing birds floating in the wind. But the peace seemed uncoordinated with the stress on Japan's shoulders.

Ever since Japan left Germany's house, he's been traveling nonstop, interrogating countries. So far he went to Kirkland family, The Netherlands, Belgium, and now the one and only France. He didn't bother to sleep that night, deeming this more important.  Japan rubbed his eyes, tired. He had to keep going if he was ever going to figure out what happened to his dear friend. 

Once he walked up stone the driveway, Japan gently knocked on the thick, wooden door. The small, delicate engravings framing the door swirled around each other. After a moment, and small girl opened the door, revealing Japan to her.

"Mr. Japan?" She said, slightly surprised. Japan smiled down at the younger nation. 

"Hello Liechtenstein. Are you with your brother?" He asked, slightly peering into the house. She nodded sweetly.

"Of course. Switzy is in the living room. Please, come in." She replied, tugging on the man's sleeve. To Japan's relief, he was invited in the house and didn't have to break in. Unlike when he went to Scotland. That  was difficult, but an interesting story to tell later.

The two saw Switzerland in the living room like Liechtenstein said. He was currently watching the news, but turned around when Liechtenstein and Japan walked in. 

Switzerland looked over the Japanese man, somewhat concerned. He had no idea what Japan was  doing at his house, much less dressed the way he is. These days, Japan wore a lot of hoodies and jeans, saying they were getting popular with his people. Now his clothes were unusually stiff, and formal. 

Must be something serious... Switzerland thought to himself. 

"Big brother," Lichtenstein said. "Mr. Japan came to visit you." Switzerland waved the two in, and quietly thanked his sister for opening the door. 

Japan sat himself on the love seat couch across from Switzerland, who was on an identical chair. Liechtenstein plopped next to her brother, fixing the purple ribbon in her hair. The three sat for a moment, letting the television take over the sound in the room. Switzerland anxiously drummed his fingers on a small table by him, taking a sudden interest in the lamp sitting on it.

"So...." Switzerland's voice drifted off, not sure how to start the conversation. He wasn't exactly the best at these kinds of situations. Liechtenstein noticed her brother's awkwardness, and decided to help him out.

"Mr. Japan, you look tired. Why so? Are you okay?" She questioned. 

Japan ran a hand through his hair, looking around the room. "I'm fine, I didn't get much sleep last night though." Japan noticed the wooden wall lining with the leafy designs carved into the wood. The beige walls were smooth and clean, and the wooden floors were swept. The place was unnaturally clean for only two people living there, but Japan wasn't complaining.  

"Really? That's too bad. Maybe tonight you will." Liechtenstein insisted. Japan just smiled at the thought. Although he doubted he can sleep, knowing Italy was still not being himself.