Chapter 14: Not Letting You Go

Mrs. Hampshire puts a hand on my back and tries to close the door on Persephone as she leads me into the room. I shake my head and shove her hand away so I can reach for Persephone's. She sighs with understanding and holds open the door for Persephone as well.

We walk in, our fingers laced together. I can't face this without a friend and loved one with me. Persephone has to cover both counts because Hansen has no idea that I'm up for adoption now. I wish he did. Maybe he could adopt me. I doubt they'd let his paperwork go through for that though.

I walk over the fading brown carpet to the table where Mrs. Hampshire usually lets us play board games. It's in the foyer, and the giant floor to ceiling windows let in the warm sunshine of summer. It dances over the floor, dappled by the leaves of the maple tree just outside the windows.

I pull out a chair for Persephone and then take another of the wicker-seated chairs next to her.

The man and woman who want to adopt me light up when they see me and then frown at Persephone in confusion. I meet their questioning gaze without a word.

"Mrs. Hampshire, with all due respect, why is this other child here?"

Mrs. Hampshire shrugs helplessly. "Alex?" She looks to me for explanation.

I smile at her and shrug too.

"Can she leave, please?" the woman asks, frowning.

My grip on Persephone's hand tightens.

Mrs. Hampshire bites her lip. "He wouldn't let me shut her out. I already tried. I'm sorry about that, Mrs. Hutchins."

Hutchins must be the couple's last name.

Her husband leans over and gives her a quick hug. "It's alright, Lindsay. She can stay. Our son has friends here. It's natural for a kid to want support with something this big." He glances at me. "Right, Alex?"

I raise an eyebrow but refuse to talk. He doesn't have the right to call me his son. I'm not, and I won't be even if they sign the papers and take me into their home. I'll never be their child. And they can't replace my parents. Even Hansen couldn't do that. Hansen, however, knows better than to try. These people don't.

Mr. Hutchins clears his throat. "You didn't say that he doesn't speak, Mrs. Hampshire."

She smiles. "He does. He's just very quiet and shy. Some kids are like that, as I'm sure you know."

Mrs. Hutchins nods with a laugh. "Our Tav is just like him. Doesn't speak to people often. I suppose it's okay if the girl stays. Is he more likely to talk with her here?"

Mrs. Hampshire grins. "If anyone can get him to talk, it's Persephone."

"That's your name?" Mrs. Hutchins looks to Persephone.

Persephone's eyes sparkle with humor. "Yes, ma'am. People call me Sephone instead most of the time."

"Well, do you think you can get your friend to speak to us?"

She shrugs. "Maybe. I can ask him, but no promises." Her gaze falls on me, and she winks.

I smirk at her, daring her to try.

"Come on, Alex. These people are nice. They really want to give you another chance."

I shrug. She'll have to do better than that.

"For me, please," Persephone whispers in my ear.

Mrs. Hampshire gives us a knowing look. I think she knew before either of us just what we thought of each other. Mrs. Hampshire knows pretty much everything. I've never managed to outsmart her, even when I do talk with her. Which is as rare as a diamond.